Carmen's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard  Adams

bookshelves: fiction, favorites, traditionally-published, he-says
Recommended for: Anyone
Read 3 times

Actually, I do not give this book a 5. It is worth much more! This book is a classic for a reason. Read it, buy it, read it to your children, give it to your children... Seriously, if you have not read this book yet, READ IT NOW. It is about rabbits. It is also about bravery, warlords, leadership, sacrifice, adventures, spies, friendship, rescue missions and so much more. This is not the first time I've read this book and it certainly won't be the last. Don't miss out on this stunning adventure!

ETA: Older children. Not small children. Perhaps 10, 11, 12 range or even older. The book is brutal and contains violence and ... hints at mating concepts. We're talking about Mother Nature here, not Disney.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

November 6, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Caroline I can't believe I haven't read it yet, but I absolutely will! I haven't heard a single bad thing.

Carmen Caroline wrote: "I can't believe I haven't read it yet, but I absolutely will! I haven't heard a single bad thing."

It is indeed a superb book. So interesting and engaging. Adams is very clever to use rabbits instead of humans. I recommend it!

message 3: by Diane (last edited Feb 23, 2014 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane It is a wonderful book I read it many MANY years ago. Honestly, I need to do re-read. Did you know there is a sequel, Tales from Watership Down?

Carmen I'd heard Adams had written some more about this universe, but I haven't read any of it. Is it good? Should I check it out?

Diane I haven't read it, but it should be just as good as Watership Down; I own it, just haven't gotten to it yet. You know how that goes ;)

Caroline How quickly does it hook? I own it and looked at the opening sentences just last night, actually, but didn't find them to be engaging. I assume the story picks up quickly, though.

Carmen Caroline wrote: "How quickly does it hook? I own it and looked at the opening sentences just last night, actually, but didn't find them to be engaging. I assume the story picks up quickly, though."

Caroline - Yes, it quickly turns into an adventure story. DOOM is coming to that peaceful little warren...DOOM I TELL YOU! Doom! Fiver has seen the future...and it is bloody... Sorry, I just love this book, I am probably not the most, um, unbiased person you can ask about it.

Diane Caroline, go for it!

Caroline Ok. I will! Thanks, guys!

SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted* Great review,love this book.

Carmen Thank you so much, I will write a better and more through review when I re-read it next year!

Jenna ~Don't Talk To Me When I'm Reading~ I LOVE this book, it is truly a metaphorical masterpiece :D I think I will re read it this year

Carmen It's amazing. Thanks for reading and commenting, Bad Kitty!

Cherie I remember feeling the same way when I read it years ago. I tried to listen on audio a few months ago, but couldn't concentrate. I need to find a copy and do a re-read.

Carmen Cherie - In my opinion, it's one of the best books ever written. :) Definitely worth a re-read.

message 16: by Mack (new) - added it

Mack I've often thought about this book and will put it on my Christmas list now.

Carmen Great, I hope you enjoy it, Mack!

Apatt Watership Down is one of my all-time favourites, for the reasons you mentioned above. Plus—in spite of appearances—it is pretty badass :D

Carmen I agree! Badass! It's one of my favorites as well.

Aaron I seem to recall the 1978 animated children's special was kinda brutal too, it had blood.

Carmen Aaron wrote: "I seem to recall the 1978 animated children's special was kinda brutal too, it had blood."

Good point.

message 22: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Plume Aaron wrote: "I seem to recall the 1978 animated children's special was kinda brutal too, it had blood."

It did indeed, as well as the murder of several other rabbits on camera. I remember being pretty spooked out by it when I watched it as a child. I found the book way less scary for some reason.

Aaron Eric wrote: "It did indeed..."

Ah the good old days...

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Great review, Carmen!!

Carmen Lisa wrote: "Great review, Carmen!!"

Thank you so much, Lisa Vegan!

message 26: by TL (new)

TL How bad is the violence/animal cruelty?

Carmen TL wrote: "How bad is the violence/animal cruelty? "

There is a lot of animal-on-animal violence, rabbit-on-rabbit as the warren our main characters are in is under threat. As for animal cruelty, well, the animals are cruel to other animals but there isn't much human-animal interaction IIRC.

But it is a brutal book. Not fluffy. Very "nature" as in things are not like in Disney films.

message 28: by TL (new)

TL Carmen wrote: "TL wrote: "How bad is the violence/animal cruelty? "

Mmk thanks

Carmen You're welcome! :)