Jennifer Garcia's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

bookshelves: audible, own, 2013-rom-read-challenge, 2013

I really liked this book very much. It was very much like Anna and the French Kiss in the manner that one of them had a significant other and they did not get together until the end. I liked Lola, I did, but she was no Anna. However, Cricket was amazing and sweet and patient and just honest. I loved his honesty. I love how in this book the characters did not play around their words, they said what they meant and didn't string the other along with words. With actions, yeah, maybe, but words, no. I'm sort of over the old, "she should have told him … whatever it was" Instead of saying, "Nothing." when asked what's wrong. I like when people speak their minds. I do and I guess I expect everyone to, so that's why in books when the characters don't it leaves me confused and aggravated. Don't get me wrong, I know everyone is different and not everyone speaks there mind, it's just that it's happened so much in books and using that as a trope to prolong the two characters getting together.
Okay, enough about that. Lola learned so much in this book, and I love how Perkins sneaks in these little lessons so subtly that one really has to pay attention. I love that the characters grow, even the ones that seem as if they don't need to. I'm saying "loved" a lot, but I can't help it. I loved the whole soulmate thing, and that when you find yours it's easy. Perhaps getting there is a bit difficult, but once there, it's as easy as breathing. I believe that to be very true. Something worth having is worth the fight to get there. But once you have it, it should be seamless and comfortable.

This was a great story and continuation of Anna and the French Kiss. We got to see Anna and Etienne. Yay! I can't wait until the next book so we can get more of Cricket and Lola (or at least I hope we'll get to see them).

I recommend this to everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

November 6, 2013 – Started Reading