Justin's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Read 2 times. Last read April 9, 2018 to May 2, 2018.

I read Crime and Punishment severs years ago and immediately rated it 5 stars. Then, I started walking around town telling people it was one of my favorite books ever. People would walk up to me on the street and ask, “Hey, Justin, you look like a guy who reads good books. Hey, could you power rank your top five favorite books of all time for me?”

That’s an example of a real life question that no one ever asked me. But, if they did, I was ready to respond!

“Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Les Miserables, Crime and Punishment, and the fifth one is always changing. Today, I’ll go with The Count of Monte Cristo.” Then, I have to remind myself I’ve never read the unabridged version of that one, and also the list of books isn’t really in order. Also, no one is asking me this question anyway. Finally, I’m never really walking around the town anyway.

So three years ago I loved this book and a month ago I couldn’t tell you a thing about it. I knew the main plot, obviously. You know, there’s a crime and then the next 80 percent of the book is the punishment. I don’t think that’s a spoiler. I hope not. So I knew the main plot, but I really couldn’t remember why I loved the book years ago. It was time to read it again!

I quickly remembered why I loved it. Dostoevsky has his crazy ability to write about the human condition that still feels fresh and riveting over 200 years later. It’s tedious at times, not always a blast to read, not always fast-paced, but sticking with this book until the end is worth it. The characters are given so much life that even the ones that seem to be minor give you a reason to care when they show up. There aren’t too many of them and they are all beautifully written, whether you like them or not. And you probably won’t.

The translation I read made the book feel like it was written in the 21st century. Sometimes older books like this can be exhausting or written in a way that makes them a chore to attempt to read, but this one is one of the most accessible 19th century books I’ve found. I don’t read many books that date that far back, but when I do... that’s stupid. I’m just trying to say if you want to dabble in classic literature and looking for a place to start, I highly recommend this one.

Also, if you love nihilism this might be just what you’re looking for. Great characters. A extremely well written story that dives deep into consequences of our actions and what it’s like to deal with (or not really deal with) guilt and consequences and remorse. It reaches its climax early, but the rest of the book plows on with much more plot to soak in before it’s all over.

And when it’s over you can walk around town and tell random people who don’t care how much you love this book. Or come tell me about it. I’m still trying to find someone to tell about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.

Quotes Justin Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's.”
Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment

October 26, 2009 – Shelved
November 11, 2014 – Started Reading
December 4, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 9, 2018 – Started Reading
April 9, 2018 –
page 127
22.68% "Still in my top five books of all time."
April 18, 2018 –
55.0% "Fyodohhhhhh Dostoevskyeahhhhh!!!!!!"
April 20, 2018 –
75.0% "Fyodorrrrrrrighty then!"
May 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice If I saw you walking around town I would ask!

Justin I would ask you, too, Kandice! Something tells me they would all be Stephen King books. 😃

Chelsey Mae Nice!!! I love this book too and can’t wait to read a new translation. Have you read The Brothers Karamazov ?

Justin I have not read that one yet, Hannah, but it’s on my list. Is that one just as good?

Raúl Omar ¡Great Review! Just recently I was talking with a friend who was surprised I hadn't read Crime and Punishment, I told him I might consider it, then I found this review.
In my opinion a good review [I'm assuming, about a good book] should motivate you to read it. Sometimes I feel 'I have to' read a book (that's how I felt after talking with my friend), then I read a review like this and I feel 'I want to read it', that's how it's done. Nice.

Justin Hey, thanks man! You’re friend is absolutely right, and I’m glad I could help give you that extra push. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I (and your friend) did! Maybe it will make it into your top five!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Barker I read C&P years ago during university. Definitely overdue for a reread. Thanks for inspiring me!

message 8: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Good review! Still haven't tackled a Dostoyevsky - maybe I should start here ................

Justin This is the only one I’ve read of his so I would definitely recommend it as a place to start.

message 10: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance Omg...love this review!

Justin Thanks, Scarlett!

message 12: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Okay. I think I'll read it! Great review Justin!

Justin Thanks man! You absolutely need to red it.

Justin I mean read it.

Elyse Walters Thank YOU.... “man”! lol
Terrific review!!!

Moonkiszt Wonderful review. I get everything you said. . . about not remembering and then re-reading remembrance restored, and wanting to talk about it afterwards. Thanks, Justin. Time to read C&P again!

Justin Yeah! Go for it! Man, I love this book so much.

message 18: by P. (new)

P. Kirby I'm a lazy reader and Dostoyevsky has always seemed like waaay too much effort. But, your review totally sells C&P, even to a lazy schmuck like me.

Justin Ohhh man just grab a good translation and enjoy the ride. It holds up really well and has enough suspense and mystery to keep the pages turning.

Irena Russia is a land of disunctional people and selfdepravation. So is Dostoyevski phylosophy. Yes, it can be enlightening when you are in your 20's in case of americans up to your 40. But whe time to mature and look into your life and worl around it with sober eyes comes, throw away Your Crimes War Peace and most of all Punishments in the garbage.

Justin No....no no no no 😃