Megan's Reviews > Locomotion

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson

bookshelves: poetry

This book was well written and kept my attention the whole time. It was an easy read that allowed me to capture the story in about one sitting. The book is about a boy named Lonnie that has been dealt some hard times. His parents died in a fire within their home, and he and his younger sister were sent to live different homes of people that basically adopted them.
In school, Lonnie’s teacher is having them write poetry books. Lonnie fills his poetry book about his life, both currently and in the past when his parents were alive. Through the poems, you understand that Lonnie is still troubled by the death of his parents, and then the discovery of his classmate having a disease. Lonnie is a child that has a difficult time dealing with hardship.
Even though it is hard for Lonnie and his sister, Lilli to be separated, they are able to visit semi often. During these visits, they hope to one day be together. Lilli believes that if they find God, they will be together much sooner.
I very much enjoyed this text and how it was written. It made the whole book come alive as you were caught up in what it felt like, Lonnie’s feelings/emotions at the time, as if he was writing right before your eyes. I think this book would be good for fourth grade and above, especially when beginning a poetry unit. It incorporates a little about different types of poems, as well as that poems can be made about pretty much anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locomotion.

Finished Reading
November 6, 2013 – Shelved
November 6, 2013 – Shelved as: poetry

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

KerriRowland I'm looking forward to finishing this!

DarcyAnne This book was very well written, I agree. I love that Jacqueline Woodson was able to capture Lonnie so well in his poetry.