Brooke Hargett's Reviews > Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness

Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan

This memoir by Susannah Cahalan is mesmerizing as she reconstructs her terrifying illness and her "month of madness." As a writer for the New York Post, she bravely comes forward with this harrowing tale. I remember seeing her on a television program years ago and knowing I needed to read her book. Her story is nothing short of a miracle, her health returned largely due to an amazing neurosurgeon- a real life Dr. House- Dr. Najjar.

The way she pieced together what happened to her, since she can't remember much of that time, is chilling. I can't believe that this actually happened- that in this day and age of medicine that it took so long to figure out what was plaguing her. I loved hearing about the fierceness with which her parents, family, boyfriend as some friends rallied around her, and was sad to hear how it severed other ties.

This is a story everyone should read. It's devastating, unfathomable and courageous. I applaud her for her tenacity, for digging until she got to the bottom of her own story, to spread awareness about Anti-NMDA-Receptor Autoimmune Encephalitis. The book reads like a thriller and had me on the edge of my seat. It's a great read for anyone and everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brain on Fire.

November 5, 2013 – Shelved