Karen's Reviews > Wizard's First Rule

Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Oct 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: vampires-and-the-like

I'm posting this under protest: Lindsay and Rachel insist that I put up the trash. We'll here's 836 pages of trash.

This is a classic hero's quest: the young man is unwillingly drawn into an adventure, aided by a wizard and a mysterious love interest. Excellent for the occasionally necessary fluffy pick me up.

I used to read these type of books all the time as a teenager, usually veering toward female authors. I enjoyed this one, but was taken by the amount of underlying sexism and racism in the story. Once I'm done with this, I'll try to move back to the feminist science fiction for my fix. Too bad there are 9 books left and they are each nearly a thousand pages. It'll be a couple of weeks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard's First Rule.

message 1: by Rachel C. (new)

Rachel C. The lady doth protest too much, methinks! We know you read it; it's only fair you post some.

Wow - 9000 pages is a lot of time to spend with a series considering you gave this one only 3 stars.

Karen True enough. I'm on book 4. It also has the annoying habit of creating ways to separate the lead romantic couple for long periods of each book. But I kind of love it. The books are long, but the first two hundred pages of each book are exposition about the previous one, so it won't take long.

They're also similar to the Twilight books. This guy knows how to push you to finish a novel fast.