Angela's Reviews > Special Topics in Calamity Physics

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

bookshelves: fiction, thriller, young-adult, mystery

I read Pessl's Night Film earlier this year and solidly enjoyed it, so figured I'd give Special Topics a try. In my opinion it was if anything better, with fewer of the (admittedly miniscule) issues that bothered me in Night Film. Donna Tartt fans in particular (The Goldfinch, The Secret History) would I think enjoy it. In fact, the story, characters, & themes bear an almost spooky resemblance to The Secret History (an outsider arrives at an exclusive/prestigious academic institution, falls in with a clique of students with a peculiar relationship with an intriguing/mysterious faculty member, & eventual tragedy/mystery ensues).

I found myself more engrossed in this book than anything I've read in the last 7-8 years, & if I hadn't been reading it over the course of a family holiday visit, I'm pretty sure I would have finished it in one sitting. It won't be for everyone but I thought it was fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Topics in Calamity Physics.

November 4, 2013 – Shelved