Anna's Reviews > Nightswimming

Nightswimming by Janet Turpin Myers

Nov 04, 2013

I've put a post-it on this book that says, "Re-read in summer, on the dock, at the lake."

Probably the best summer read I've ever come across, Nightswimming evokes the smell of summer, water, wooden dock, even if read in the midst of a Canadian autumn. Like an acid flashback, it takes me back to the sixties, youth, and the delicious anguish of young, transient, yet timeless love. The presence of the protagonist both as an adult and as her remembered, youthful self, adds an autumnal note to the story. Summer doesn't last forever. Nothing lasts forever.

That melancholic overtone and the vintage particulars of an Ontario lake cottage community- beautifully rendered, with a fine brush by the author- give this work a distinct Canadian flavour. The dark current running just under the sunny surface of the narrative brands this first novel as one of psychological depth as well as fluid style. It is compelling and memorable.

If I have any complaint, it is that Nightswimming is too short. I hope further publications of this authors work are not far behind; and that some smart TV or movie exec snaps this up to translate into another medium, pronto. I'll look forward to both, and to re-reading Nightswimming next, and every summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightswimming.

Started Reading