Kelly (and the Book Boar)'s Reviews > Tampa

Tampa by Alissa Nutting

bookshelves: read-in-2013

Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Celeste Price has everything a girl could dream of. She’s model-gorgeous with an equally attractive husband who also happens to have a significant trust fund. He works as a police officer, she is a middle-school teacher. He worships the ground his trophy wife walks on and she????? Well, she fantasizes about banging 8th graders.

Okay kids, get ready to hate me because I freakin’ LOVED Tampa. Please, don’t misunderstand – I agree that the subject matter is 100% cringe-inducing. Hell, I remember expressing my amore for this beautiful little werewolf:

Only to have my son remind me that he played this character not too far back:

I spent the next several years watching the various Twilight films and contemplating whether I should register myself on the national sex offender list for my impure thoughts.

With Tampa, however, Alissa Nutting keeps her tongue so firmly planted in her cheek throughout the book it somehow makes it possible to put your mind past the pedophilia. I found Tampa to be deliciously dark. Reminiscent of American Beauty and Lolita – the tale of ultimate taboo finds a balancing counterpart with a vicious wit. Absolutely NOT for the faint of heart, but if you dare to venture out of your comfort zone you will discover one of the most well written books of the year.

Here’s to a follow-up story in 25 years giving us an update on Frank Rossitano and Lynn Onkman .... errrr, I mean Jack Patrick and Celeste Price.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tampa.

November 4, 2013 – Started Reading
November 4, 2013 – Shelved
November 4, 2013 –
1.0% "Yes, hi Librarian. I'd like to check out 12 YA novels and "Tampa". No, I'm completely normal - I don't think there's any need to notify the FBI of my book selections."
November 5, 2013 –
28.0% "http://flavorwire.com/423424/50-incre... \n "The real toughness points go for reading it in public, though. It’s scandalous enough that the less brave might save it for private places.\n \n I'm reading this shit at the coffee bar in front of EVERYONE, yo!"
November 5, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
November 5, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nefariousbig That last photo made me spit my drink! Too perfect!

Elyse Walters Happy New Year Kelly!

I read this finally!!!

and remembered the story in the news at some point .. :)

May 2016 be a great year for you!!!