Sheri's Reviews > Gives Light

Gives Light by Rose Christo

bookshelves: tragically-beautiful

The song of this story is gorgeous.
It flows beyond the pages and touches you; leaving you forever changed.
My heart is full...my heart is happy...my heart now contains pieces of Skylar and his world.
I believe a Native American proverb pulls my thoughts together nicely….
“There is a battle of two wolves inside us all.
One is evil.
It is anger, jealously, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority and ego.
The other is good.
It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.
The wolf that wins? The one you feed.”

Skylar is not only the epitome of the good wolf, but he stirs the good wolf inside me. I was overcome with peace and love listening to Skylar’s story. He made me want to be better...be more. He may not be able to speak, but his voice is probably the most powerful I’ve ever read.

The characters absolutely made this book. I fell head over heels for Skylar and I adore Rafael nearly as much. The beautiful flow of Christo's words transported me to the Reserve. Brilliant writing!
The blurb is clear and accurate.
Skylar is the sun and Rafael is the wildflower...and together they grow, bloom and thrive in each other's presence. It was calm, serene and soothing despite the ugly shadows lingering from the past. Shocking and disturbing secrets are revealed and I fought the urge, the need, to comfort and hug Sky. A boy with more heartache than anyone should endure, yet somehow he continues to brighten the world around him. His name is fitting, for he shines and he seems to enrich everything he touches.
From tattoos...

to sun-catchers...

...I was spellbound.

~The writing is dazzling- creating vivid pictures of the Native American culture.
~The characters are exceptional, intoxicating and despite their flaws, lovable.
~The story that unfolds is touching, unforgettable, and heart-warming.

A beautiful coming-of-age tale blended with friends to ‘more-than-friends’ and self-discovery and acceptance.
Overall, I believe it is truly an epic love story of the balance between light and dark and the miraculous power of compassion and pure love.

*4.5 forever-in-my-heart stars*

Stop by Boys in Our Books to check out our group challenge and a chance to win the ENTIRE 'Gives Light' series...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gives Light.

November 4, 2013 – Shelved
November 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 1, 2014 – Started Reading
March 2, 2014 –
1.0% "*squishing hugs*\n Thanks JJ! ;)\n I have been saving this one, and I'm SO excited to get started...yay buddy read :D Since Native American blood runs through my veins, I'm even more excited to begin this journey....here goes,\n "
March 2, 2014 –
21.0% ""'Well, I mean,' he started disgruntledly, 'maybe you can't sing. But anyone can play the plains flute. You don't need vocal cords for that. Just breath.'"\n \n *sigh*"
March 2, 2014 –
23.0% "\n Can I just tell you how much I LOVE wolves? Gah! Love them...."
March 2, 2014 –
43.0% ""'What are you doing? You don't need to write.'\n And that was true, I thought. He always knew what I wanted to say."\n \n *melting*"
March 3, 2014 –
83.0% "\n *blink*\n Whoa....."
March 3, 2014 –
84.0% "\n *sniff*\n I wasn't so sure about you Paul, but you're all right. yeah, it's gonna be okay."
March 7, 2014 – Finished Reading
June 21, 2019 – Shelved as: tragically-beautiful

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Baba  Look forward to your review, Sheri. :)

Sheri Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Look forward to your review, Sheri. :)"

thanks Babs!

message 3: by Trisha (last edited Mar 17, 2014 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha Harrington Awesome review, Sheri!!! So glad you enjoyed it. :D

Sheri Trisha wrote: "Awesome review, Sheri!!! So glad you enjoyed it. :D"

Thanks my dear!
It was truly amazing and I look forward to more Sky and Raf :)

Trisha Harrington Sheri wrote: "Trisha wrote: "Awesome review, Sheri!!! So glad you enjoyed it. :D"

Thanks my dear!
It was truly amazing and I look forward to more Sky and Raf :)"

I really hope the rest of the series is just as good for you! :D

Baba  Love the review, Sheri! <3

Sheri Trisha wrote: "

I really hope the rest of the series is just as good for you!"

Thanks Trisha :)

Sheri Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Love the review, Sheri! <3"

Thanks Babs...I adore your as well.
Have you read the entire series?

Baba  Sheri wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Love the review, Sheri!

Thanks Babs...I adore your as well.
Have you read the entire series?"

Sheri Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Nah. I'm a bit afraid that I won't love the entire series…I didn't want to read them back to back… :)"

Ohhhh, me too!

Baba  Sheri wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Nah. I'm a bit afraid that I won't love the entire series…I didn't want to read them back to back… :)"

Ohhhh, me too!"

Sheri Vilda wrote: "Gosh, I so need to read this one. Fantastic review, Sheri!"

Thanks Vilda, and YES! I think you'll really love it. it's quiet (I wasn't bored, but it's not action packed) and soothing...and the writing is absolutely wonderful. :)

Jenni All the love! Sigh...
(((HUGS THE REVIEW)))

Sheri Jenni wrote: "All the love! Sigh...
(((HUGS THE REVIEW)))"

*hugs back*
such an amazing ride, so glad we got to take it together!