Sandi Layne's Reviews > Stone Guardian

Stone Guardian by Danielle Monsch

bookshelves: paranormal, contemporary-romance

Confession time.

I used to watch the Gargoyles animated series on TV with my older son, back when we lived in Arizona. I developed a huge character-crush on Goliath. I then went on to study how gargoyles were used in historical architecture and how fascinating the creations were during thunderstorms and the like. It was pretty cool!

When I saw a book cover with a hunky gargoyle guy on it, I was not, though, compelled to buy it. However, since the author was donating proceeds to charity for a limited time, I did buy the eBook so that I could do a tiny bit to help out, you know? The author, after seeing my blog comment about this, offered me another book of hers if this one didn't pan out to my satisfaction.

So, of course, I read it.

Review time.

What I liked about this book:

Swoony hero? Aces. Terak, the gargoyle hero, is the leader of his Clan. He's got the alpha-male temperament, the body, the swoony fascination thing down to a fine art and he doesn't even know it. He also has vulnerabilities and responsibilities which make things a bit tense at times. Totally works for me.

Feisty heroine? Check! Larissa is from a family of overprotective males and is determined to live on her own -- near her family but not WITH them. Having to concede to the need for the Stone Guardian in her life is hard for her.

Secondaries? Tons of fun and I want to know more!

Bad Guys? OH MY, yes.

So I liked all of this.

My not-favorite things:.

The prologue. I think the set-up was maybe necessary but its presentation lacked finesse. It had punch, but it was off-putting to THIS girl, anyway. And the whole buildup was not, in my opinion, necessary as the plot spun out. The world-establishment could have been handled differently and with perhaps more logic.

However, the world set up (our world collides with a more supernatural one, resulting in a permanent state of new affairs) is a good one. I like the way the author weaves it into the story as it progresses. It's just the heroine's role in it that has me scratching my head.

Overall?

4 stars. I want to read more. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone Guardian.

Started Reading