Michelle {Book Hangovers}'s Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

It pains me to say this, because I really wanted to like this book, but I'm a bit disappointed with it!!

I thought I was going to get a notorious, "I will F YOU UP", BAD ASS Assassin?!?!?!...

...Instead I got a pouty face, frou frou dress wearing, love-sick girl, who sleeps til 2 in the afternoon and throws fits because she can't attend parties!!

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP! Just because your staying in a lavished room in the royal castle, doesn't mean you've become a Princess. Your a criminal assassin, there to compete in a deathly competition to become the King's pet. Oh yea, BTW, YOUR STILL HIS PRISONER TOO! Back to the salt mines you go if you fail, or worst put to DEATH!

The main character, Celaena, seems very innocent and extremely naive despite having "suffered" in the Salt Mines of Endovier. I would imagine her to be way more broken and hurt, bitter and bitchier even.
Then there are the two men that love her, the Crown Prince, Dorian and the Captain of the Guard, Chaol. I found Dorian to be a little pompous, womanizing, arrogant ass and Chaol to be quite charming, boring, but charming none the less.
Another character that becomes important in Celaena's life is Nehemia. A princess from another land that comes to the castle, pretty much spying on her home's rival kingdom. I really enjoyes Nehemia's character, although she lacks any depth, I think, hope, the author makes up for that in the sequel, Crown of Midnight.

This book has all the elements that I love to read about: assassins, romance, royalty, danger. However, despite it's promising story-line, It did not perform as well in it's execution!

I guess if I want to dig deep and find out more about the main character, to appreciate the story more, then I should read the novellas. Learn more about her history and the story's background.

Even though I was let down with the intensity and the characters, I love the idea of the story enough to want to read the sequel Crown of Midnight. Plus I've been told that Crown of Midnight is much better than The Throne of Glass. But we all know how he says/she says goes...HIT OR MISS!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

November 4, 2013 – Shelved
February 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 23, 2014 – Started Reading
April 25, 2014 –
page 266
65.84% "More than half way through and it's starting to get really really good...and scary!\n \n "
April 26, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 27, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014-books-read

Britt I had a hard time at first with this but by the end it was bumped to my favorites list. Book 2 is better the characters get more depth. Enjoy!

Britt Ps Celeana is my avatar.

Michelle {Book Hangovers} I've enjoyed what I read so far, but I put it on hold until I read this book I checked out from the library. I'm loving Celaena. She seems pretty bad ass!

Rapunzel Michelle - book one is good, but just wait till book two and you'll have your mind BLOWN ;) x

Katie.g Oh no! I bought the first two on Amazon in a sale. Hope I'll like them.

Michelle {Book Hangovers} Katie.g wrote: "Oh no! I bought the first two on Amazon in a sale. Hope I'll like them."

that's what I did! But I heard Crown of Midnight is a whole lot better (Fingers crossed) and Katie, Throne of Glass wasn't a bad read, the MC just got on my nerves from time to time and I thought it was gonna be more brutal! lol
I really hope you enjoy it!!!

Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥ I read the novellas first and they were way better. But knowing her history did not make her better in Throne of Glass. Cant stand her. Read book 1 and 2 but I dont think I will be reading 3.

Katie.g Thanks Michelle! I'll still give them a try but they're not the first on my list. Hopefully you will like the second one better too :)

Michelle {Book Hangovers} Rebecca ♥ Aaron Warner, Magnus Damora ♥ wrote: "I read the novellas first and they were way better. But knowing her history did not make her better in Throne of Glass. Cant stand her. Read book 1 and 2 but I dont think I will be reading 3."

Ugggghhhhhh.......I'll give Crown of Midnight a try! Let's hope for the best lol
Thanks for being honest and sharing! You ROCK! xoxo