Charity's Reviews > The Circle

The Circle by Dave Eggers

liked it

Thoughts:

-The walls, floors, and ceilings of the cafeteria are all made of glass, yet Mae wears skirts to work.

-I can't decide if Mae's amazement at the "invisible" notary ink is a brilliant device by the author to show Mae's naivete, or if it's the author's adorable expression of his own naivete about notarizing, or if it's the author's annoying assumption about the naivete of his readers.

-In the first part of the book, there's a giant fireman's pole that doesn't appear again in the novel. Chekhov would be appalled.

-The symbolism of the aquarium is painfully overdone.

-Perhaps because she is a female character written by a male author, Mae must be hyper-conscious of her "curves."

-Perhaps because this novel is written by a male author, all of the intimate encounters and fantasies are phallocentric in a very literal sense. And also kind of creepy. Even the ones that aren't meant to be creepy.

-Despite the obvious seams in the construction of this novel, especially in the first third, which should have been edited much more comprehensively/mercilessly, this was still an enjoyable novel that speaks to the unease I feel when the Apple Store people use the term "ecosystem."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle.

November 3, 2013 – Shelved
November 3, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read-added-2013
August 25, 2018 – Started Reading
August 26, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Have you seen the movie yet? I’m curious how it compares.

Charity I didn't even know there was a movie. I'll have to check it out (from the library after it's on DVD because I like neither spending money nor sitting still for a whole movie).