Lauren's Reviews > Bunheads

Bunheads by Sophie Flack

it was ok

I picked this book up with no expectations. The bar was set so low, there was no bar.
And yet, I was left unsatisfied, frustrated, and my self esteem was at an all time low for the day. I had just home from a FUNERAL and I was in a better mood than after I finished reading this.... So why did I give it two out of five? It might've been that it was this chick's first novel, and she had an extremely impressive autobiography on the back with a face that Kim Kardashian would be jealous of, or that I am a dancer myself and could sympathize with a lot of the emotions that went down during the reading of this book. I honestly don't know.... I guess we'll call it my good grace.
The Plot
To keep it simple, Hannah has everything going for her, she's a dance in the fabulous Manhattan Ballet, a senior corps dancer, with friends, free pointe shoes, and serious social creds. But one night at an Italian restaurant, she meets Jacob, or whatever his name is, and falls in love with him, the NYU college student slash aspiring song writer and suddenly isn't so sure of what she wants to do with her life.
The plot sounded good when I read it on the cover and I was drawn in by Sophie's writing, but I can't even begin to tell you my extreme annoyance with Hannah's uncertainty and her lack of confidence (view spoiler) bothered me so much I was ready to throw the book at her thick head.
The Characters
I did, however, like her characters. She had a supporting friend, a mean girl, two hot boys, and a tough karate kid-like teacher, the essentials for a cliche book. Lol, I kid. She could've definitely done a better job creating more unique and memorable characters.
The Love Interest
I was impressed that she managed to throw in a complete love triangle in a solo novel. Even if it did seem to be a sort of after thought. It seemed that it didn't quite fit in with the novel, and that she should've come up with a better reason to throw away your career than a boy. There wasn't enough angst or struggle in her mind throughout the book, it seemed like she was just cheating on both Matt and Jacob and didn't even car. Heck, she was just there for the free stuff!
In the end, I was really upset after reading this, but I usually am after reading any ballet book, so it might just be me..... But hey, if you are a dancer, or enjoy simpleminded romance, then maybe you'll have better lick than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunheads.

Finished Reading
November 3, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Lauren whoops I meant luck at the end....how embarrassing

message 2: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Hahaha nice Lauren! You actually have a lot of typos in that review

Lauren lol hater

message 4: by Sonja (new)

Sonja :)