Chad Warner's Reviews > Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!

Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins

bookshelves: non-fiction, psychology, self-help
Recommended to Chad by: 50 Self-Help Classics

A motivational and practical guide to the power of decisions in reaching our goals. I liked the themes of taking responsibility and continuously improving. It discusses success not only in financial terms, but also mental, emotional, and physical (bodily). It's somewhat overly optimistic at times, but far less cheesy than I expected.

The "giant within" in the title is decision. Our decisions about "how we think, how we feel, and what we do"..."will determine the quality of our present and future."

I liked the chapter on The Power of Life Metaphors, which talks about the psychological effects of words.

I realize this isn't a theology book, but there were a couple items I didn't completely agree with. Robbins says that "God's delays are not God's denials." Although this is sometimes true, it's not universally true. Sometimes (often, actually) God denies us things that we want, because He knows best. In another place, Robbins applies Matthew 7:7 ("Seek and ye shall find") to our material lives, even though in that passage Jesus is speaking of spiritual things.

I read this book because I had heard it referenced several times, and it was included in Self-Help Classics.

Notes
Mastery
• "Mastery takes as long as you want it to take." Take action more frequently to decrease time to mastery.
• "The most powerful way I've learned to compress time is to learn through other people's experience."

Conditioning
• People will do more to avoid pain than to gain pleasure.
• To condition effectively, reward or punish immediately after incident.
• Use a variable schedule of reinforcement. For example, dolphins are sometimes rewarded after first jump, sometimes after fifth, etc. This encourages them to perform consistently.
• Offer jackpots: occasional, unexpected surprises to reinforce behavior.

Goals
• If you have a big enough why to do something - a strong enough set of reasons - you can always figure out how to achieve it.
• Ask yourself, "What kind of person will I have to become in order to achieve all that I want?"
• "Most of us have created numerous ways to feel bad, and only a few ways to feel truly good." "You could be winning and feel like you're losing because the scorecard you're using is unfair." Change your rules so it's easy to feel good and hard to feel bad.

Conduct
• "Go put your creed into your deed." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
• "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken the Giant Within.

Started Reading
November 2, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 3, 2013 – Shelved
November 3, 2013 – Shelved as: non-fiction
November 3, 2013 – Shelved as: psychology
November 3, 2013 – Shelved as: self-help

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Carisa (new)

Carisa great review!