Lisa's Reviews > Demon Vampire

Demon Vampire by Virgil Allen Moore

bookshelves: review-read
Read 2 times. Last read November 2, 2013 to November 15, 2013.

This is my second time reading this book. I was given a review copy of an earlier version by the author, and now this one. This book was great to read. I did have some issues with the first draft, and was amazed that the author actually listened to reviewers of the first draft and changed the book to make it more readable and more enjoyable while keeping the author's voice and story intact.

The story jumps through time, looking at the story of Zach Giver, Del Marin, and a black plated vampire demon remembering these stories. I enjoy Marin's story. I love how it is written, and while the confused vampire who does not want to kill is an overdone theme at this point, Marin's story is nicely done and I want to read more. A book following just Marin would be able to stand on it's own as a very readable story and I look forward to reading more. Having this spread throughout Zach and the black plated demon's stories compliment each and grow together making a vampire novel with very interesting and, in my readings, imaginative ideas withing the vampire genre.

This is just book one. I do not always like series books, especially those where the book is not self contained, but in this case, Demon Vampire is a satisfactory and highly enjoyable read that makes you want to read more. There are still a number of typos, a few synonyms and formatting issues, but those are few and far between. I look forward to the next chapter in these stories and want to know more about all of the characters and how they get from Marin's past story to the demon in the start of this book. I also hope to know more about the subtleties of the book, such as Yugo's story, and how the story moves to the girl against the tree.

There are not many books that I have found in recent years that I have wanted to read twice. While most of my interest in reading the revised edition was the idea that an independent author might actually listen to reviews and try to make a story more readable, I enjoyed the second read-through and want to read more. I believe that Virgil Allen Moore will be an author to watch and I will be particularly excited to see adult, instead of teen, protagonists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Vampire.

July 15, 2013 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
July 15, 2013 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: ebook (Other Paperback Edition)
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: review-read (Other Paperback Edition)
July 31, 2013 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
November 2, 2013 – Started Reading