K.S.R.'s Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

Oct 10, 2007

bookshelves: spirituality, bettering-myself
Recommended for: anyone looking for a breath of fresh air

Now that I'm reading The Prophet again, words that I read twenty-seven years ago still ring clearly in my mind as I read them again today. It was a wonderful moment a few evenings ago to find myself reciting aloud and from memory passages that had struck me then--and now--to the very core. Kahlil Gibran spent a couple of years revising The Prophet. Since it is a short book, the concepts come across as distilled. The influences of his native Lebanon as well as his love for scripture, come through in the scriptural-like language. I am savoring this book slowly this time, taking little sips at a time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.

October 10, 2007 – Shelved
October 26, 2007 – Shelved as: spirituality
Started Reading
January 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2008 – Shelved as: bettering-myself

message 1: by Judith (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judith So true for me too!

Lizzie I read The Prophet years ago and it also had very strong personal importance for me. Years later I discovered a diary of my mother's, who died when I was young, and discovered her love The Prophet as well. The diary had quotations from The Prophet on every page and my mother had made notation about some of them that really rang in her soul too. It is an amazing connection I now have with her and am always awed by the power of true art to connect through generations and time.

Sahir D'souza. Larry, your review is short, but very accurate. I think, too, that the book is very lovely. Kahlil Gibran's writing is beautiful! My favourite essay was 'On Children'. I hope you all enjoy it!

Sahir D'souza. Sorry, not Larry, Karey.

Marc-Lee Tierney Well said

message 6: by Demetrius (new) - added it

Demetrius Pinder Reading it for the first time and I'm happy to hear that "taking little sips at a time" is truly the best way to take in this book.

message 7: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff My favorite passage was "one know's not the depth of Love until the hour of separation"
Love it!
Like fine wine little sips
"Jeff"

Alexandru Very good review...

Bhattee Too difficult and confusing

message 10: by Nooreen (new) - added it

Nooreen I just finised reading it today- really found many truths within the book which i've underlined to remember

message 11: by Rahul (new) - added it

Rahul So, like me many people have special attachment to this book, good that I have read the review and comments.
I didn't know the deep philosophical quotes I heard so many time was from this book. I am enjoying this very slowly, and making my interpretation of Jibran's wisdom of words.

message 12: by Rahul (new) - added it

Rahul My favorite lines are about children
"Your children are not your children
they are life's longing for itself
they come through you, but not from you
......
...."

message 13: by Q (new) - rated it 5 stars

Q Well put K.S.R. :)

I wrote my review before reading yours, echoing similar sentiments, but I really appreciate your writing.

——
Bhattee, I can understand how you feel. I was very frustrated when I first read some the poems. It took me over a year to really appreciate the poem about “Freedom”. I would like to offer you a few tips that may help:
1) Be sure to translate every word and look at all the different definitions in the dictionary. Each word is very intentional and necessary to understand the poem as a whole.
2) Allow the words to paint a picture in your mind. The imageries are very
3) Watch “The Prophet” on Netflix. There are seven poems in the movie. The music and storytelling helped guide you your own understanding when you read it yourself.

I know it’s challenging, but when you finally find appreciation for yourself, it will hit you like a brick, and suddenly you are jumping for joy! :)

Best of luck Bhattee :)