Jamie's Reviews > What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures

1993961
Oct 22, 2009

bookshelves: true-stuff-and-criticism
Read in November, 2009

Malcolm Gladwell is a very compelling writer, even if most of his stuff doesn't really do anything for me. After reading this book, I understand why: I have never enjoyed him that much because I don't enjoy the long form of his work.

"What the Dog Saw" is a collection of his writings from the New Yorker over the past ten years, and I found it both incredibly readable and interesting. The through line that you discover when you read them all in one place like this is that Gladwell is really interested in psychology. Every piece is about why we do what we do, and how our assumptions about the psychology of our decisions are ultimately flawed.

I rather enjoyed this, much more than "Outliers" or any of his other full-length books, because fifteen pages is really all one needs to get to the crux of his arguments. Some of the pieces were more interesting than others, but because they were all short it didn't feel like work to read them. Solid book. Enjoyable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures.

10/26/2009 page 70
16.95% "somehow these pieces seem longer in The New Yorker."
show 2 hidden updates…