C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Naturals

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Nov 01, 2013

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2015, thriller-crime, young-adult

Muuuuuurder. That's all that needs be said, peoples. Go read this book because there's serial killers and murders and bone-chilling plot twists. I love reading these kind of books, but am I ever frightened? Um, nope. I always feel like it's definitely a book and not reality. BUT THIS WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! I was soooo sucked in, I actually felt my stomach churning. It's so incredibly well written it just blows my mind.

description

The only reason it's not getting 5-stars is I felt a bit detached. A few times I was just speed reading because I felt there was a lot of "filler" material (I had to catch myself a reread a few pages). And the romance? Ergh. The romance felt completely unnecessary. I like how Cassie confesses she's not sure she'll ever be able to love someone (serious tragic childhood trauma sufferer here, peoples) but that doesn't stop her from kissing two different guys in like, um, 2 days. I kind of felt she was leading them on equally at the same time = she didn't care. She's not ready to have a romance! I get that she's a bundle of confusion and stress. I GET THIS. But I'm never fond of love-triangles and this one wasn't any better.

I also I question the reality of gathering 5 or so gifted kids and then getting them to solve cold cases. It's cooool, but shouldn't they go to school and stuff, also?! They're literally sitting about the house, no wonder they're all psychotic.

The characters are all so REAL. Usually secondary characters are like...you know, never as good as the MC. But in this case?! They had SO much personality. I loved Lia and Sloane. They were slightly crazy and compulsive. I wanted to slap Lia several times but THAT'S WHY SHE'S AMAZING. She's like the annoying little sister. Then there's Dean (the dark broody one) and Michael (the guarded but quirky one) and while I liked them both, I felt their rivalry over Cassie was eye-roll worthy. Cassie...she was cool. I think she had a complex personality, but I just wasn't as interested in her. She seemed so soft and timid for this kind of book/lifestyle. And I don't think she was supposed to be timid. ANYWAY. I'M RAMBLING. Moving on, shall we?!

The writing is fabulous. It's tight, it's not wordy, they cut out the crap and just get to the GOOD STUFF. Even the middle (which I accused of feeling like "filler") isn't boring, so much, as padding out the story. You know? I was really quite desperate to know the answer to the murders.

And, let's not forget...IT'S FREAKY. It's the most realistic serial killer book I've read and everyone's reactions were A+ and I kind of, um, freaked a few times. Which never happens. (And I watch a heck of a lot of crime shows.) Also, can we just take a moment to say criminal profiling is awesome?! HOW COOL IS THAT. It's like Sherlock. And I also saw a lot of the TV show Psych in here, with Cassie profiling people off details around them.
description

I REALLY LIKED THIS BOOK. I definitely want the sequels. Like. Um. NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Naturals.

November 1, 2013 – Shelved
November 1, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 17, 2013 – Started Reading
December 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
March 13, 2015 –
page 115
36.51% "Oh goodie. MURDER. \n description"
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
March 13, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily I'm glad it's a good book! It's on my to-read.

message 2: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe I take it Mime finally convinced you to read this? ;) I remember how much she loved it when she read it, so I'm glad you liked it too!

C.G. Drews @Emily: It definitely doesn't disappoint!!

@Zoe: Ha, she's been after me to read this for MONTHS. It wasn't as terrifying as she promised though. #heartlessbookworm