Melissa's Reviews > The Rake

The Rake by Suzanne Enoch

It is book two in my re-read month. "The Rake" was the first book i read by Suzanne Enoch. I find it amazing that i always choose the best in authors series to read first. I was a little slower in reading this one since last week was a busy week. Anyways.... I really can't remember how old i was when i read this book. Nor can i remember where. I just remember loving it and being ecstatic to find out there were two others afterwards.

The hero and heroine unlike many other romances have known each other for quite a long time. In fact that have quite a long history. It was believed that Tristan and Georgiana were going to marry each other when Georgiana first came out. For Georgiana it was innocent love and bliss. And to quote Taylor Swift "She gave him everything she had for a boy that changed his mind". Except Tristan didn't as much change his mind, but seduce her to win a wager. And like the song "they both cried" except they became more plural to mean Georgiana and her "two" friends. Course the incident was summed up to a kiss and not a seduction which saved Georgiana reputation.

Still six years later Georgiana hasn't forgotten what Tristan did and she lets him know every chance she gets. So society seems them as enemies rather than possible marriage partners. So Georgiana and her two friends Evelyn and Lucinda come up with a plan to each teach a man a "love lesson" rather make the man fall in love with them and then dash their hearts to pieces. Georgiana chooses Tristan of course. Which leads her to moving in with him and his entire family to "Help" his one Aunt while she recovers from Gout. Which leads to a rather humorous and unforgettable romance.

I personally loved Tristan and his brothers more than i liked Georgiana. Then again that often turns out this way. I loved every interaction he had with his family. The playfulness and tenderness. He made me want to have him for a brother instead of mine. I'll trade anytime. You could tell from what we heard from various people and himself that he'd really grown up since his wager six years ago with Georgiana. It was nice to see and hear it on more than one front than a simple blanket statement.

Georgiana was quite the heroine as well. While i didn't love her as much as the guys i still loved her. She had a backbone and wasn't going to be a simpering female. She was her own woman and everyone was going to know it. She had her flaws which was a nice coutner point to her brashness and forwardness sometimes. Somethings she didn't think things all the way through and she wasn't above using others if it suited her (but not in a terrible way). It also helped that she had some nice sounding off room with Lucinda and her aunt Frederica.

Together the two of them made a witty couple that were clearly made for each other, but had a few realistic barriers to get through.

Final rating: 5 stars. For great characters, story-line, and for introducing me to my fictional crush Bit Carroway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rake.

08/11/2011 page 30