Karla's Reviews > Darkness Watching

Darkness Watching by Emma L. Adams

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-releases, blog-tour, paranormal, read-in-2013, for-review

*I was provided with an advanced electronic copy of this book from the author and Xpresso Book Tours in return of an honest review. No monetary compensation was provided in this exchange.*

Review origininally posted as part of DARKNESS WATCHING BLOG TOUR on Moonlight Gleam Reviews

FINAL RATING: 3/5

It’s the day before her Oxford interview when Ashlyn first sees them: purple eyes and a terrifying face in the middle of her vision which should definitely not be there. After that, the demons are everywhere she goes. She ends up in Blackstone, a small-town university town for that reason a lone – for some reason, she didn’t see any demons during her first trip to visit the township.

Ashlyn is only 18 – all she wants is to study literature and maybe make some friends and maybe a life away from the demons that have been constantly appearing before her for some reason or another. But Blackstone is much more mysterious than it appears, and its people have secrets of their own… Here Ashlyn learns about the Darkworld and its inhabitants. When her own life is put in danger, can Ashlyn rise up to the occasion (and discover the truth about herself in the process)?

First things first, I love that this is set in the UK (and that the author is from the UK as well!). The setting was very refreshing for me. As I go to a university in the middle of a big city, it was interesting to see the dynamics of a small-town college. There were a few moments of predictability in the story, but overall I found it well-written and I enjoyed reading from Ash’s POV and learning about Blackstone and the Darkworld along with her. A sense of mystery goes on for long enough to keep us interested, but not too vague in that it actually makes sense.

However, I found it difficult to connect with the surrounding characters. I felt that we did not get a good enough understanding of the people around Ashlyn, and that there were probably too many characters being introduced in that I was getting a bit confused as to who was who. I did like that the romance did not take over the story; it supports the story, improving it. And I am in love with the cover, it was what initially attracted me to the story!

Emma L. Adams has introduced a very interesting story of an 18 year old girl who really only wants to live quietly and study – Ashlyn is a greatly developed character and I grew to really like her by the time I finished Darkness Watching. Her story left me interested enough to follow up as to when the next in the series will be released, and I am curious as to how Adams will continue her story. For readers of YA (although this can easily slip into NA) and paranormal, I think that you will find Darkness Watching a worthy read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Watching.

October 31, 2013 – Started Reading