Jace's Reviews > All-Star Superman: Volume 1

Oct 22, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: comics
Read in May, 2011

I'm not normally gaga for Grant Morrison's writing, and I hate Frank Quitely's art. (I didn't know it was possible to draw human characters that are simultaneously blocky, doughy, and wooden. He definitely has his own style--but I hate it.) I know I'm in the minority on both accounts, but I've learned to accept it. I think this book is decent...but I'm not sure it deserves all the uncritical praise that has been foisted upon it.

One positive aspect of this book is that it tones down Morrison's major flaw: it does not require a deep knowledge of continuity, so it is fairly accessible to any reader with a general understanding of the Superman mythos. There is still a multitude of references to supporting cast members and events from Superman's past, but it's not essential that the reader understand them all in order to follow the book. That being said, this is being billed as a general interest book, but I don't think that's exactly accurate. Morrison relies on far too many characters and concepts from past Superman stories and doesn't introduce or explain them. All of these references would be wasted on a new reader.

These are fun stories, and they are fairly light (except for the overarching plot line.) They do a good job portraying the ideal Superman archetype, but a lot of the stories just don't have a lot of lasting impact for me. Alan Moore already covered a lot of this ground with "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", in a shorter space and with better art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All-Star Superman.