Aasem Bakhshi's Reviews > I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

liked it
bookshelves: biography, english-literature, subcontinent, owned

I would ask all those Pakistanis who are making the book controversial through over-sensationalized and misplaced critiques:

1. Please remove the lenses of bigotry and prejudice and read the book in a casual way. Its not a great book so comparisons with Anne Frank's diary are perhaps out of proportion. However, I would hate to speculate that it might be considered a great classic if Pakistan continues on its usual disastrous course and experience a people's tragedy comparable to holocaust. This in my humble yet optimistic view is impossible, God willing.

2. It is not even a well-written work either; understandably so, since its from a young girl. Its just an ad lib commentary by a 16 year old girl which is most probably composed by Christina Lamb in readable English. Our so-called second grade media intellectuals who have issues with Lamb's reputation, well Yousufzai is not synonymous with Lamb. At least try to add a minimum possible of degree of objectivity in your criticism.

3. When you quote, please do so with the purpose of discussion and critique rather than ridicule. Please learn to read and understand the texts. They are meaningless and misleading without a context. Those who are calling it interpretation of her father's ideas, well what if I may ask is wrong with that? All 16-year olds think their fathers are cool. We, as fathers and mothers, have right to impart our version of goodness into our children. We may disagree with each others' views but disagreeing with other's interpretation of history, politics and social issues doesn't make one anti-Islam or anti-Pakistan.

4. It might be a very interesting work for western audience, specially when Lamb ostensibly lets Yousafzai speak (in my view Lamb has added historical and political bits to it where necessary for coherence of discourse), but have very little for Pakistani reader in terms of engagement with the text. However, what you must understand is that you are reading a very brave girl who can stand eye-to-eye with adversity and horrors in conditions where most of us would end up compromising with our liberty or would simply run away. She is a brave girl, mentored and taught life by an audacious father. We must be proud of her and listen her carefully since we have a young hero towards whom we can point our children to look-up to.

Lastly, lets try to read the same book the author has intended to write; please don't end up reading the book which you intend to criticize, apriori

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Malala.

Started Reading
October 31, 2013 – Shelved
October 31, 2013 – Shelved as: biography
October 31, 2013 – Shelved as: english-literature
October 31, 2013 – Shelved as: subcontinent
October 31, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 29, 2013 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad Arqum Can we have a review please?

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship When I was 16 I didn't know very many people who thought their parents were cool--I know I didn't. ;) It's very sweet that Malala does, however.

Tariq Mahmood Where is your review?

message 4: by Shaheer (new)

Shaheer Haq fareedi malala is just another drama by us

Michelle Stimpson There are comments asking for a review, but I see the review in this and I appreciate your perspective.

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa  Ceresani I tend to disagree with the comments about the book. I have personally met her Father and he regaled our Masters graduation with 2 hours of stories about the life and times. He even said that malala could not write (girls were not taught) He taught her...A important man came to the house to give her father a award and only had his sons names on the honor, her father put the name on, saying she is also my blood. Her Father taught her that all people men and women are equal. Brave Man.

Terri S The criminal who's the reason for this girl's tragedy, is the false prophet mohamid who compared women to dogs, cattle etc who allowed men to best them on chapter 4 sentence 34.. And also said that half the residence of hell are women