Tim Snell's Reviews > Gym Candy

Oct 21, 2009

Read in October, 2009

Genre: Realistic Fiction
Copyright: 2007

Mick Johnson eats, drinks, sleeps, breathes, football. Trying to follow in the footsteps of his father, Mick shows an incredible knowledge of the game at a very young age, however, as Mick enters high school, he thinks that in order to gain that competitive edge, his only resort is taking steroids. Mick's performance on the field improves, so much that he feels the need to continue taking steroids, but his life off the field begins to suffer and only he can choose whether or not steroids are worth it.

This book was great! I couldn't put it down! The book has an ending I never saw coming, but I won't spoil that for you! This book really showcases the kinds of pressure children/teens face in sports, not only from their parents and peers, but also themselves. There are numerous real-world topics covered such as depression, steroid use in sports, and roid-rage. There is a lot of football vocab, so those who don't have a basic knowledge of football could become confused. I think all athletes should read this book, especially younger athletes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gym Candy.