Sarah's Reviews > Kiss Me at Midnight

Kiss Me at Midnight by Diane Alberts

bookshelves: books-i-own-kindle, netgalley, read-in-2013, for-review-read, christmas-story

Ashley has every intention of seeing the New Year in with a bang and when she realises her ex-best friend Ethan is back in town there is only one man she wants to celebrate with. Ethan may have broken her heart years ago but this is her chance to get him out of her system once and for all with a night of hot sex and no commitments. Ethan has returned home for the holidays to visit his family but the last thing he'll ever do is move back to a town he hates. He never forgot Ashley though so if she's looking for a night of passion he'll make sure she has one she'll never forget, as long as she realises that he's not going to stick around afterwards. Both Ashley and Ethan are quite clear that this is a one night only deal but somehow once just isn't enough and the more time they spend together the deeper they both get. Can they find a way to make things work long term or is someone going to end up broken hearted all over again?

I love friends to lovers stories so I had high hopes for this one and I'm happy to say Diane Alberts hit the spot perfectly. Ethan and Ashley were best friends throughout school until a misunderstanding caused Ethan to walk away from Ashley forever. She didn't understand what had happened and spent months trying to get him to talk to her again until he moved away for college and she hasn't seen him since. Nine years on Ashley is still furious with Ethan for breaking her heart but she is determined to have a taste of the man she always wanted. Ethan has grown up a lot since the day he pushed Ashley out of his life, he realises now how unfair his actions were and he feels guilty for hurting her. I liked the fact that he was man enough to own his actions and apologise to Ashley, he knew he was in the wrong and doesn't try to blame anyone else for his mistake. Ashley may be mad at him but she accepts his apology and is willing to give him another chance to be her friend.

At around 100 pages this novella is short and sweet but it's full of great banter and plenty of steam. Diane Alberts packs a lot of emotion into her stories so as much as things develop fairly quickly between the characters the story is still believable and fun to read. It's easy to forgive fast relationship development in a novella, especially when characters have such a strong history and connection as these two did. If you're looking for a sexy holiday story that can be read when you don't have much time on your hands then you can't go wrong with this one. Starting on New Years Eve Kiss Me at Midnight is perfect for this time of year and it's the kind of story that I'll probably come back to and reread in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss Me at Midnight.

October 30, 2013 – Shelved
October 30, 2013 – Shelved as: wishlist
December 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 9, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own-kindle
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley
December 28, 2013 – Started Reading
December 28, 2013 –
1.0% "Starting my New Years Eve read a little early but what the hell I just couldn't resist!"
December 28, 2013 –
99.0% "That was a really sweet (& steamy!) story. Things do move a little quickly but I can forgive that in a novella, especially when the characters already have history."
December 28, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013