Casey's Reviews > The Glassblower of Murano

The Glassblower of Murano by Marina Fiorato

Oct 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads

This was a Goodreads Giveaway win for me (yay!) and I was so excited to receive it, frankly, because of how very enticing the title sounded. My overall verdict is: It was okay.

The language was usually very flowery, and while sometimes this did enhance the descriptions of some places deserving of lavish adjectives, it mostly made me feel like the author was trying too hard.

I also had a problem with character/relationship development. Alessandro never progressed enough, for starters. I didn't believe him at all when he suddenly became this possessively jealous and passionate lover...I needed more of a transition from aloof boyfriend to devoted husband-figure. I wasn't crazy about Leonora's need to be validated by things and people outside of herself, which somehow suddenly went away, either.

I enjoyed the historical parts much more than the modern ones, even though, to be fair, the modern ones drew me in like a soap opera!

With all of this said, I have to give the book fair praise. It is a pretty great concept, and though I would have liked to see it become more developed, it definitely held my interest. I also love Italy, and I enjoyed having it described for me so colorfully.

So, I liked it, but it's not a masterpiece, by any means.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glassblower of Murano.

October 21, 2009 – Shelved