Tixie Dean's Reviews > Healer's Touch

Healer's Touch by Deb E. Howell

bookshelves: favorites

Healer’s Touch is billed as a mix of steampunk, fantasy and wild west. After spending the last few nights reading it – I have to agree. It reminded me of Joe Abercrombie in style, and I loved the darkness and grit to the characters. No-one seems to be whiter than white, and the MCs all have flaws that help make them believable.
The story follows Llew, an orphan with the ability to heal, but to do so she must ‘steal’ life force from living things. A wonderful gift but a terrible curse. She attracts the attention of Jonas, a warrior sworn to kill all like Llew (reasons why explained in the story). Cue romance. Yeah, there’s romance. And there’s nothing quite like a good, complicated romance. But this doesn’t drive the story... while it’s an important factor the most important threads of the story simmer away in the background and it’s only near the end that we realise just what’s going on... this world better prepare itself as I see things getting very messy.
Have I mentioned Braph? No? Braph is the half brother of Jonas and while Jonas is blinded by loyalty and duty – Braph is out for himself. He does some truly awful things in this book and as a woman he should make my skin crawl, but instead, I found myself warming to him and actually, I think he’s my favourite character. Wrong wrong wrong – but that is a testament to Deb E Howell’s writing ability. She can craft a layered character perfectly and give us (readers) reasons to love or hate them. And I love Braph.

The writing was good and well structured. Dialogue tags were smooth and adverbs used appropriately. I loved the mixture of traditional writing and the more ‘modern’ cleaner writing. I admit, I’m a lover of older, description laden fantasy so this was the perfect blend for me.
I’m eager to see what happens in book 2, and if it’s half as good as book 1 – I’ll be extremely happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healer's Touch.

Finished Reading
October 30, 2013 – Shelved
October 30, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Deb (new) - added it

Deb Wow. Thank you so much. You compared me to my favourite writer... I just... wow!
Book 2 isn't too far away!