☮Karen's Reviews > The End of Your Life Book Club

The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2015, nonfiction

I think the most underrated human trait is kindness, a notion reinforced when I hear about people who devote their lives to helping and caring for others. If everyone made an effort to be nice to one another every day... well, who knows? What made me interested in The EOYLBC was the idea of a son discussing books with his mother while she is undergoing chemo treatments. What kept me interested was his amazing mother, who seemed to define the meaning of the word kind. In her long life she helped so many others with her selfless acts, including getting a library started for schoolchildren in Kabul. It was evident as well that she passed the kindness gene on to her son, as he was just the perfect companion to her.

The book titles mentioned as part of their two person book club were mostly ones I haven't read, but many are now on my TBR (thanks Will!). I do think I expected the story to be more about the books and not so much about the chemo, a sore subject with me; but I got a lot out of The EOYLBC anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Your Life Book Club.

October 29, 2013 – Shelved
October 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2015 – Started Reading
January 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
February 21, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
December 23, 2015 – Shelved as: nonfiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Connie I loved this....and really wanted to be a friend of hers! I am not sure I would have liked it as well while husband going thru chemo though.....I too wanted a bit more about books. However, what a lovely tribute to his Mom

message 2: by ☮Karen (last edited Jan 07, 2015 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☮Karen I am surprised that she was able to read so much during chemo rounds. My mind was so preoccupied and unable to concentrate that whole time, I don't think I was able to get through one book, for months.

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen I really enjoyed this as well -what a great tribute indeed

Connie ☮Karen wrote: "I am surprised that she was able to read so much during chemo rounds. My mind was so preoccupied and unable to concentrate that whole time, I don't think I was able to get through one book, for mon..."

Exactly....ps, love that avatar!

message 5: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Nice review, Karen. Have this one on my TBR.