Mark Lawrence's Reviews > She Who Waits

She Who Waits by Daniel Polansky

There's something about Polansky's writing that floats my boat. I'm not alone in this, other authors I know have said it too. I'd call Polansky a writers' writer but that might imply he's not a readers' writer, and he's certainly that.

The first two books in this series (trilogy?) are excellent but when you get to She Who Waits you understand they were entrees. This is the main course - this is where the payoffs you hadn't noticed building up are delivered. There's a level of emotion in this book that was perhaps absent in the first two. Where the first two fascinated and entertained, this one will also make you care.

Polansky writes great noir crime fiction, his plots are complex and draw you in, his characters are colorful and well drawn. He wields the first person point of view masterfully, fully exposing the man at the pivot point of the tale without exposition or breaking character. His greatest strength perhaps is in slick, witty, bitter, revealing dialogue.

These books deserve a bigger readership. The range of reviews tell me that (as with any book) not everyone likes them, but if you liked my work, you may well love these. The 1st book has an average rating of 3.76, but the 53 of my readers/goodreads friends who've read it give it an average 4.11.

Certainly if you liked book 1 you will LOVE book 3.

I commend them to your attention.

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Who Waits.

October 29, 2013 – Started Reading
October 29, 2013 – Shelved
November 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Matt Baguley Currently about half way through book one, picked it up on your earlier recommendation - really enjoying it so far, looking forward to getting to the later books as well - it would seem most agree they get even better as they go on.

Brandon Zarzyczny Great review, my copy just arrived yesterday from the UK, it's really too bad his books aren't available in the US.

Stretch's Books "The Straight Razor Cure" is available in the U.S. It's called "Low Town"

message 4: by John Gregory (new)

John Gregory Wynn first 2 are awesome! waiting on book 3 from goldsboro...cant wait!

Dusty Wallace This is better than my review, and I agree with every word.

Tony Morton Wholeheartedly agree Mark thanks for recommending this series enjoyed every book and really really enjoyed she who waits

Chompa I totally agree that book 3 is the payoff.

Agnes Conway I've enjoyed the Low Town books, but don't find them very gripping. A lot of the time I'm wondering why he doesn't just shut his mouth, and for all his supposedly ultra-smart plotting, a lot of his plots work only because it's fiction, in real life people wouldn't be so obliging as to put their heads in obvious nooses.

message 9: by Al (new)

Al Burke I picked up Low Town blind, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.