Bob's Reviews > The Storyteller

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

did not like it

Oh dear. A perfectly good idea but, sadly, not realised. I don't know where to start in unravelling what is wrong with this. For starters, too long - main protagonist is annoying to the point of wishing... can't say, too controversial. A chapter in the middle that is a novel in its own right but no-one would ever read (already written, several times) mistakes all over (one glaringly bad one at the end regarding the car) - a twist that was expected from the second it was set up (half way in) and an ending that was stupid beyond description.
I know none of that is constructive or academic in any way but the book just doesn't deserve it. I can only think that Picoult moves so many units that the editors are terrified to tell her the bleeding obvious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storyteller.

Started Reading
October 29, 2013 – Shelved
October 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Susan Bazzett-Griffith Part of me agrees wholeheartedly with this review... I was so disappointed in this novel. I still barely put it down, so I give Picoult credit for pacing and characterization, but... your criticisms are all on point.

Kate what are you referring to regarding " the car" at the end of the book ( a glaring mistake)?

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 1 star

Bob Don't remember exactly (it was over a year ago) but it was something about her telling Joseph that the car had been written off. There was a time problem and she'd told him something that he would clearly have known was untrue. I remember that it simply didn't make sense but I'd have to read it again and I don't think I'll be doing that. Sorry, not a great answer.

Elaine "I've had to come back and add more - I've been dwelling on this: I think it is slightly unsavoury to use one of the most devastating horrors in recent memory as a backdrop to a silly love story. It starts with Sage and ends with Sage, so Auschwitz is a bit part? If you're going to use something so emotionally charged, then you have to rise to it - it's not just a cheap ingredient."

This was how I felt too. The Holocaust story is used as background to a much less interesting, important story, and I think that cheapens the Holocaust story.

Jeannie This book made me grit my teeth and clinch my jaw. I was listening to it on a play a way while I worked and I finally realized I was getting tense and angry because I hated the devices Piccoult used to unfold the story. Too much teasing of information to come and too long delivering anything of interest and too much going to the past without moving the story along. I couldn't finish it. I read My Sister's Keeper and was enthralled. I have tried a couple of others that at least I have been able to finish. I am done with this author, she is not for me. Evidently I wasn't able to endure long enough to get to the heart of the story.

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Kiger This is a helpful review, thank you. I'm listening to the book right now, and I'm debating whether or not to finish it. I probably will not. I'm surprised at all of the great reviews!