Angie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Jun 01, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult

Synopsis: "The war against Voldemort is not going well; even Muggle governments are noticing. Ron scans the obituary pages of the Daily Prophet, looking for familiar names. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses.
And yet…

As in all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate — and lose a few eyebrows in the process. The Weasley twins expand their business. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Classes are never straightforward, though Harry receives some extraordinary help from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince.

So it’s the home front that takes center stage in the multilayered sixth installment of the story of Harry Potter. Here at Hogwarts, Harry will search for the full and complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort — and thereby find what may be his only vulnerability."

My Review: This may be one of my least favorite of this series. I found it so hard to get through this book and the only reason I did was because I am so close to being finished with it. I didn't like how characters that were so essential in previous books were just tossed aside in this one, where the heck is Hagrid! Also, I realize that Dumbledore had recognized his mistakes in the previous book but his near 180 change in decisions and treatment of Harry just didn't sit well with me. And don't get me started on dear old Harry, the Chosen One. I did appreciate the look into the darker side of the conflict and what has made Voldemort who he is but at the same time I feel like it is giving the impression that if you are a bad kid, you are just going to end up being evil, so you might as well be the best at being bad. Of course we do have a surprise death but I honestly thought it had to happen at some point otherwise how would in one book Harry become the destined savior of all?! One more book, just one more and I can say I read the series that 'All Readers Must Read' ugh

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

October 29, 2013 – Shelved