Angie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

Oct 29, 2013

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult

Synopsis: "For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter’s defeat of You-Know-Who was Black’s downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, “He’s at Hogwarts… he’s at Hogwarts.”

Harry Potter isn’t safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may be a traitor in their midst."

My Review (Updated January 2017): I have been re-reading this series (and hopefully finally reading the final 3 books) with a readalong with the Novel Tea Club on Facebook. I found that the previous two books weren't quite so torturous this time around but for some reason I found this book harder to get through this re-read. I think maybe it is because I knew it was finally going to get exciting near the end and I was completely bored with the drudgery that was the first 2/3rds of the book. I was so unbelievable bored with this re-read but I did rather enjoy spotting some of the more interesting foreshadowing (some of it was obvious and could be picked up the first read but some of the more hidden details needed a re-read). I did enjoy the new characters that are introduced, Prof. Lupin and Sirius Black were both intriguing characters, and it of course was nice to finally find out Snape's hatred for Harry (though I found it to be very childish and immature for him to hold a grudge for so long). Hopefully the series will improve again with the next book.

My Review (December 2014): After the absolute torture of reading the first two books earlier this year I really put off continuing the series until now. I was rather surprised when I started reading this one, instead of having to force myself to read a chapter a night, I found it very easy to read 3 or 4 in a sitting. I find it very odd that after such dry narration in the first two with lagging storylines that this one seems to pop with activity, almost as if there is a different author writing it. I still am not a fan of any of the main characters, Harry, Hermione or Ron, but of course Dumbledore and Hagrid are still fantastic and the addition of Black and Lupin made for much more enjoyable characters to drive the story along. And while I have heard this is the best of the series I have new hope for the rest of series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

October 29, 2013 – Shelved
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 23, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 3, 2017 –
page 16
3.68% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 5, 2017 –
page 41
9.43% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 9, 2017 –
page 198
45.52% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 9, 2017 –
page 291
66.9% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 10, 2017 –
page 318
73.1% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 11, 2017 –
page 379
87.13% (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
January 14, 2017 – Finished Reading