Angie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Oct 29, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

Synopsis: "The Dursleys were so mean and hideous that summer that all Harry Potter wanted was to get back to the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. But just as he's packing his bags, Harry receives a warning from a strange, impish creature named Dobby who says that if Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.

And strike it does. For in Harry's second year at Hogwarts, fresh torments and horrors arise, including an outrageously stuck-up new professor, Gilderoy Lockheart, a spirit named Moaning Myrtle who haunts the girl's bathroom, and the unwanted attentions of Ron Weasley's younger sister, Ginny.

But each of these seem minor annoyances when the real trouble beings, and someone--or something--starts turning Hogwarts students to stone. Could it be Draco Malfoy, a more poisonous rival than ever? Could it possibly be Hagrid, whose mysterious past is finally told? Or could it be the one everyone at Hogwarts most suspects...Harry Potter himself."

My Review (Updated 1/1/2017): So in my original reading of this book I was horribly disappointed, after hearing this series raved about. I just re-read it for the first time in 2 years and my expectations were much lower this time so it made the disappointments a little easier to swallow. I am still rather bored with the characters, Harry of course is still comes out on top even though he has everything against him. It is the same villain, just a different version of him. Dumbledore is as mysterious as ever, Hagrid is the lovable oaf (though keeping scary creatures looses him some points). Honestly for me the most intriguing characters and events in this book revolve around the car! I do still appreciate that there is a longer time frame than most books, it was nice to see an author give character some breathing and development time, even though we aren't there for quite a bit of it.

My Review (July 2014): Really?! Why did everyone rave about this series, granted everyone keeps telling me that the next books get better but why would you have even continued to read the series to find that out? I unfortunately feel like I need to finish the series since it was a gift from my Hubby and if I don't read the books he gives me he may stop feeding my book devouring habit! So anyway back to the story, the characters were again so dull and boring (not to mention sometimes all high and mighty) that I had no connection to them at all. Thank goodness Ginny showed up and portrayed some real emotion and personality! Again the story was really drawn out and only seemed to pick up steam the last 50 or so pages. Though I do appreciate the fact that there is time between the events, not everything happens within two weeks which seems a lot more genuine. All in all I am still horribly disappointed and just want to push through and finish this series up so I can put it on a shelf to just look pretty.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

October 29, 2013 – Shelved