Felicia A's Reviews > Lakewood Memorial

Lakewood Memorial by Robert R. Best

Oct 20, 2009

bookshelves: apocalypse-of-some-sort, horror, zombies, teotwawki

What took me so long to read this book??? No, for realz. WHAT. TOOK. ME. SO. LONG?? It's been on my "to read" list for, like, EVER, but for some reason I had never gotten around to picking one up. And I don't know WHY exactly, because I have bought between 3 and 5 books every week or so for the last 15 years. So it's been sittin' on the list, waiting to get bought. Well I finally purchased a copy and WOW. What was I waiting on? I have no answer to that question.

Lakewood Memorial starts right out on page 1 in the midst of the zombie invasion - whatever has happened has already happened, and the dead are already walking and gathering forces. No long drawn out backstories here! It is gory, fast paced and honestly - surprisingly - funny as all hell. Seriously, Mr. Best, are you sure you are not a comedian in disguise? Cuz I totally laughed out loud quite a few times. The entire time I was reading this, I was imagining it as a movie….I don't often do that, but Lakewood Memorial was very reminiscent of Zombieland for me - zombies+blood+angst+comedy=laugh out loud.

It's a quick read…I read it in a few hours, but then again, I read REALLY fast. The action is constant throughout as Angie and Park at the hospital and Angie's kids Dalton and Maylee battle their respective circumstances to find their way to each other.
No, it's not the Great American Zombie Novel that some of you are looking for. And I hate to be the one to break it to ya'll, but there will never BE a Great American Zombie Novel, folks, let's just get that established right away.

I would have liked more explanation about the whole grave zombies thing, and I am hoping that, as we already know in advance that this is a trilogy (AND THANK YOU FOR LETTING US KNOW UP FRONT!), the author was scene setting and character developing, and not doing so much of the cause/effect stuff in this volume.

I ordered this book a couple of weeks ago, and it was waiting for me when I returned from Horror Realm in Pittsburgh, where I got to 1) meet Mr. Best (and his lovely wife) in person, and 2) pick up a copy of the sequel, Ashton Memorial. To be able to immediately dive into the sequel while the first book is fresh and new is awesome.
I am happy to say that there were very few typos or mistakes in this book….not the norm with the self published and small press offerings. More of the writers in this genre should make the effort to have someone edit or, at the very least, proofread, their work before it's published.

And oh, Mr. Paulson, you angry, bitter, FUNNY old coot. I'd have stabbed you in the temple and left you for dead in your wheelchair long before you made your vaguely heroic decision, you sarcastic little troll. I'd have killed your whiny, passive-aggressive, delusional daughter, too. She was in desperate need of some meds and therapy - LOTS'O'THERAPY. Some of us are just not cut out for survival post-zombocalypse, you know?

Me, though? Look me up on my compound. Over and out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lakewood Memorial.

October 20, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 23, 2010 – Shelved as: apocalypse-of-some-sort
September 23, 2010 – Shelved as: horror
September 23, 2010 – Shelved as: zombies
September 23, 2010 – Shelved as: teotwawki
page 46
page 70
43.75% ""Get your fucking over-lotioned hands off of me." \n \n BLAHAHHAAAHHAAAA! Don't know why, but this is cracking me up."
page 160
September 23, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Linda (last edited Nov 03, 2010 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda I agree, Felicia! I, too, can't believe it took me so long to get to this book. I loved it! I think comedy (done correctly) is needed in a lot of zombie novels. It breaks up feeling of being so tense. Best wrote his comedy in a natural way, not forced. I read this one in one sitting, because I couldn't put it down. Now, on the the second in the series. Also, I could see this as a movie.