Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Letting Go of Your Limitations: Experiencing God's Transforming Power

Letting Go of Your Limitations by Sandie Freed

19232021

Disclaimer: I won a free copy of this book in a contest.

I truly enjoyed this book. I think it is a great additon to any Christian's library. First of all, the appearance of the book is nice. The yellow and blue cover is attractive, and the bird imagery on the cover is continued at the beginning of each chapter, which is a nice touch. Content, though, is the important thing. Dr. Sandie Freed does not disappoint in this area.

The book is written from a charismatic point of view, focusing upon the limitations that prevent a Christian from living out his full potential. She has written the book as a manual or how-to guide, complete with reflection questions at the end of each chapter. She addresses the reader directly. Her Scripture references are pertinent and accurate. She uses Bible stories and episodes from her own life to illustrate points, which really drives home the message in an easy to understand manner.

The gist of book is demonstrating how to overcome limitations that curtail the victorious Christian life. We are to live for God's glory. Basically, the point is that we (Christians) can and should overcome our barriers and stumbling blocks due to our identity in Christ. It is this identity that truly defines us and, to a large extent, determines or affects our abilities. She provides a honest look at how we should view the world and its problems--through a Christ-like/biblical lens. Many of us fail in this area, having grown complacent in the world. Sickness, sorrow, and failure are not natural to the world; they are a result of the Fall. God wants us to succeed according to His views of success and for His glory. Dr. Freed challenges us to view our life and limitation as Christ would. Again, our identity in Christ is the standard, not merely our human attributes and abilities. This is one of those things that should be obvious, but frequently is not due to complacency, ignorance, or distraction via being caught up in trying to accomplish things in our own power (the latter is my own challenge). I appreciate the way she lays things out in a simple and effective manner. Dr. Freed does not promise anything outrageous, but she does offer what is a life-changing strategy to the majority of Christians who live a vanilla life.

The book is relatively short. It would work well as a Sunday School or small group study. Of course, it can also be used by the individual. I heartily recommend this book to anyone frustrated with trying to accomplish everything solely on the basis of human wisdom and power, anyone who wishes to understand how God can work in his life to improve his efficacy and witness to God's power, to anyone yearning to allow God to eliminate or reduce the limitations habit and inertia have established in order to have a vibrant relationship with Christ and more joy in this world. Work your way carefully through Dr. Freed's book, reading and meditating upon the relevant Scriptures. It will change your life for the better.

Dr. Freed and her husband founded Zion Ministries in Hurst, TX. She also has a website: www.sandiefreed.com. Check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letting Go of Your Limitations.

Finished Reading