Laura's Reviews > Sweet Reckoning

Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy, romance, ya

This book was just as spectacular as the rest of the series. The characters, the romance, the plot, the world-building, everything! It's funny how I can't seem to find the words to praise a book but I can to express my displeasure... I need to work on that!

This book was chock FULL of plot twists! I wouldn't have been surprised if all the plot twists combined to create one gigantic plot twist that consumed the entire book! It was beautiful really. Wendy Higgins has truly created a masterpiece of dark romance swirled within a mystical plot. And now you can tell I have an ice cream craving. Brilliant Laura. Absolutely brilliant.

What I'm trying to explain here is that the mix of elements was perfect. The exactly ration of chocolate to vanilla, ketchup to hamburger, romance to danger. The author knowing that this is what makes a great book and actually doing it, well those are two very different feats. And Ms. Higgins was able to truly create a great book.

I have one grievance and one grievance only. It is as follows: there was no true build up to the climax. Yes, Anna and everyone else had a deadline (well not really a deadline but a time in which they had to attack) that was creeping toward them and they didn't have enough allies. For the scale of the book and the overall build up over the course of the trilogy, I would have expected more suspense and ultimately, a longer 'battle' at the end. It was fine as it was, but without that proper build up, it seemed small and insignificant even when some beloved characters die. You all know I'm an emotional reader but this book didn't touch my deepest emotions. That's what killed this books 5 star rating in the end.

I really really REALLY wanted to give this book 5 stars but I know it just isn't possible with that one problem I had with the book. It's truly tragic that's what it is. So 4 stars. 5 almost stars!

P.S. The epilogue was PERFECTION!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Reckoning.

Quotes Laura Liked

Wendy Higgins
“I texted Kaidan, who was listed in my contacts under “James,” for James Bond. He’d chosen it. He had me listed as “Hot Chick From Gig.”

Video chat in 30.

His immediate response made me shake my head.

Clothing optional?

It was nice to know he could keep a sense of humor in the face of calamity. Or maybe he wasn’t joking...

“Are you two flirting?” Patti asked, her eyes darting to me from the road.

I blushed and deleted his message.”

Wendy Higgins
“You're so bloody cute,” he whispered, his voice all low and yummy.

Blood whooshed through my body. A Kai buzz. Oh, he was totally using the bedroom eyes...all heavy lidded and seductive. I don't even think he was trying. I suddenly felt shy. Even from the other side of the country, this boy was dangerous.”

Wendy Higgins
“I laid back the lounge chair and rolled to my stomach, content.
Sounds of splashing faded as I dozed.
And then I heard a beautiful voice. . . .
“Cover your arse, and nobody gets hurt.”
I lifted my head to see Kaidan crouched next to me. He was here! Just as I was about to get up and throw my arms around him, his gaze slid down my body to my butt and stayed there. Hello, stormy eyes.
I felt twice as hot under the sun as I had one minute ago.
I threw the towel over my body, which forced his eyes back to mine.
“Hey,” I whispered.
He touched my face, and I leaned into his palm.
“I feel like it’s been a year since I saw you,” he said softly. “I’ve missed you.”
I reached up and cupped his hand. “I’ve missed you, too.”
“But you’re still in trouble.” His voice was low and gravelly.”

Wendy Higgins
“Halfway through the meal, while we were all laughing and telling stories, I made the mistake of placing my hand on Kaidan's upper thigh without thinking.

He let out a groan loud enough to silence the room. I slipped my hand back into my own lap, and Kaidan cleared his throat.

“Wow,” he said. “The corn pudding is fantastic.”

I snorted, which started a round of snickers. Patti smiled at Kaidan like he was a precious boy.

"Isn't it good? Anna found the recipe a few years ago. She's a great cook."

"Mm-hm." Kaidan gave a tight-lipped smile. "That she is.”

Wendy Higgins
“This is right, Kai. We love each other.”
He closed his eyes. “I'd do anything for you.”
“Just love me,” I whispered”

Wendy Higgins
“Jay took out his guitar. He was decent at it, but the piano was his best talent. He couldn’t get a certain riff right, so he handed the instrument to Kaidan, and my heart flipped.
I recalled him saying he played guitar, but I’d never actually seen or heard him play. Kaidan began to pick at each string, testing and tuning with his full attention. I watched the way his hands moved across the wood and strings, gently, reverently, his body seeming to curl around it as if it were a part of him. . . . I felt my hands getting sweaty, because watching Kaidan get lost in music did crazy things to me. My breathing became ragged and I couldn’t take my eyes off him.
He looked up at that moment and caught me staring hard. He knew. He knew what it did to me! I could tell because his badge expanded.
He angled himself away from the others and signed to me, I want to be alone with you tonight.
Patti did have a lot of guests staying in the house. I signed back, I’ll work on it.
“Excellent,” he whispered, a hot grin sliding onto his face.”

Wendy Higgins
“Stop!” I pinned him with a serious look. “No more. Get it out of your head, Kai! We are not running. This is happening whether you like it or not. It's time to get your game face on and get ready to kick some ass.”

Wendy Higgins
“He froze. “I . . .” Then, as he searched my face with wonder, he slid from his seat and down to one knee. “My sweet, lovely Anna. I love you . . . and I want to marry you. But only if you want to. Do you? I mean, will you? Marry me?”
Be still my heart. His proposal was so adorably awkward that I had to laugh, sliding out of my chair so I could face him on my knees, too. I grabbed his face and kissed him for saying exactly what I needed to hear. We kissed once, twice, three times before he pulled back.
“Does it always take this long for someone to answer? It’s making me bloody nervous.”
I looked into his eyes. “Yes, Kai. I’ll marry you.”

Wendy Higgins
“That’s your damned female hormones talking, Jez.” Sonellion grabbed his crotch. “Grow some balls again.” She gave him a venomous look. “I have more clarity about the world in this body than I ever had with a set of balls.”

October 28, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read