Rebecca's Reviews > Fall

Fall by A.K. Morgen

bookshelves: norse-fantasy, favorites

You know its a truly gripping and enjoyable book when you finish in under 3 days and shun other books due it. That is how amazingly amazing Fall was. Fade was spectacular but Fall was AWESOME!
We finally learn the aftermath and indeed the aftershocks of the Hati attack on Arionna and the emotional bomb that Dace has turned into with worry and fear. Leaving a lot of mistrust and simmering frustration between the two of them which causes a truly heart breaking decision for Arionna. As they both struggle with the truth of their situation and the rising costs and consequences of their actions or in-action.
Dace does feature prominently in the first half but over time and due to plot twists he takes a step back, never completely gone and in his place steps Ronan the very raven-like personification of Hugnin. Or is it Mugnin? And through an adventure or two, we, alongside Arionna, discover more about his character, why he is the way he is and have to make up our own minds whether he is a good guy or a bad guy. Or neither. He is quite a conundrum character - you think you know him and then he does or says something that makes you rethink all over again.
Fall is purely about character dilemmas and there are few secrets both nordic and personal that pop up within each chapter to keep us on our the edge of seats. And although it may seem at first glance after reading that not a lot over all happens to be honest it doesn't matter. The entire book opened up a deeper sense of empathy between us and the characters. The entire journey through the plot felt like a burning fuse wire endlessly leading us on and making us anticipate the explosion to come and you need to wear safety goggles, bullet proof vest and maybe some plate armour to protect you from the nuclear sized explosion that is triggered in those final few pages. If some readers found Fall at all slow then surely even they appreciate it as a worthy build up to an epic climactic end that leaves us all breathless and dying to know what happens next. Book 3 will have a tidal wave of anticipation for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall.

October 28, 2013 – Started Reading