Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Chameleon Moon

Chameleon Moon by RoAnna Sylver

liked it
bookshelves: queer-reads, fantasy, sci-fi

I tried to reread this from the updated version I have and I couldn't get into it. I know I loved it once, but I just couldn't get hooked by the story again.

Original review

I'm going to preface this by saying that I honestly didn't mean to take this long to read it. Life got in the way. First year of college, and a lot of other personal things that I don't feel like delving into for a review.

Right when I started this, I was hooked. That prologue was amazing, and it thrust me right into the story. From there, it only slowed down a little bit after initial action had taken place, which made the pacing perfect all the way through it. There were dynamics that were explored that made the characters richer and deeper.

Throughout it, I thought about how great it was for there to be queer characters. Lesbian married couple raising a son, a transgender main character that is so kick ass, gender-queer kids, a budding gay romance. And, of course, a lizard man. I was in wonder at the parallels she drew with the misfits in Parole to our modern times of people still thinking queer kids as odd and different and just not right. This is a perfect book to show that it's the other way around.

Not only that, but RoAnna tackles PTSD and anxiety, not to mention depression and transphobia. It was... amazing. Everything was so well handled. The minor characters didn't feel as minor when things like this were brought in, like children having to grow up far too fast than they should. It's heartbreaking, but that's reality. It reminded me of the children growing up in the conflict the U.S. has been having with Iraq. Those kids grow up in a war zone, meaning they grow up far too fast to survive and are haunted by PTSD the rest of their lives.

That cliffhanger? Ugh. Just give me the sequel now. Plus that epilogue. I almost turned around to shout at the kids who were kicking on my seat the flight home so I could really concentrate on the book.

Instead, I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes:

"That we all have our own monsters. And that you don't have to face yours alone. And hopefully, knowing that will make you feel...important. So whenever you feel nothing, maybe you can look at that, and...feel that, at least. You're not nothing, Finn. You're everything."

"And they're going to hate us, and say terrible things. You're going to hear that you were born wrong, or you made the wrong choice or that you're sick and disgusting and evil and need to be wiped off the face of the earth. But listen to me. You are beautiful."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chameleon Moon.

October 27, 2013 – Shelved
October 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 23, 2014 – Started Reading
October 25, 2014 –
2.0% "Well, that was the most catching prologue I've read in a long time."
March 10, 2015 – Shelved as: queer-reads
May 9, 2015 –
7.0% "I promise, promise, promise I'll read this in two weeks when my finals are going down and I'm taking off work for some free-time. I promise. Because this book is really good. Life just got in the way of me reading it."
May 29, 2015 –
42.0% "Hot damn. I started reading it last night after getting back to the hotel and look where I am. Definitely going to shoot to finish this on the planes or once I get back home."
May 29, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy