Cherise's Reviews > When the Marquess Met His Match

When the Marquess Met His Match by Laura Lee Guhrke

it was ok
bookshelves: arc-or-review-copy, historical-romance

Lady Belinda Featherstone is a matchmaker. She tries to make sure that America Heiresses in London get a marital match that is based more on mutual compatibility and the possibility of future love, than money and contracts. She was duped into her own marriage and now as a young widow vows to protect other young American hearts.

When Nicholas, the Marquess of Trowbridge, approaches Belinda and asks her to aid him in his quest for a rich bride, Belinda refuses him. After all he is exactly the man she is trying to save women from marrying! But an agreement is reluctantly made and the matchmaking begins while the two of them try and ignore their mutual attraction.

I usually love a Laura Lee Guhrke book. Her historical romances are some of my all time favorites... but I was underwhelmed with this one and honestly, a little bored. I don't know why because all the ingredients for the perfect romantic formula are all lined up... but somewhere along the formula wasn't mixed correctly. It's lacking something. I'm thinking emotion and feeling.

I like the characters and the premise of the plot sounded interesting, and the fact that it is to be the first in a series also attracted me. But there was no heat for me, no emotion, I didn't feel the characters or empathize or relate to their stories or situations. Usually I get consumed and the characters come to life, this book and its contents remained quietly on the pages, none of it leapt out at me. I didn't feel that their attraction or chemistry was genuine. It lacked believability and it really just failed to draw me in and keep my interest.

I haven't given up on Miss Guhrke, like I said she has written some of my favorite historical romances, but this one will not be counted on that list.

Cherise Everhard, November 2013
Book provided by and reviewed for the Amazon Vine Program

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Marquess Met His Match.

October 27, 2013 – Started Reading