Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery

Lost Girls by Robert Kolker

Oct 27, 2013

True crime is one of my favorite genres to read, although too much of it can cause nightmares. This book is case and point. So much about this story was highly disturbing. The book highlights five young women, all of them strangers to each other, whose fates intersect in the most horrific way. All had hard lives...broken homes, inconsistent (or completely absent) parenting, drug addiction, and ultimately turned to prostitution to make ends meet. And of course to the homicidal psychopath, they are the perfect target. In a way, we've all heard this story a hundred times, but it never fails to sadden and at the same time, fascinate me. This particular case is wrought with drama, rumors, and mystery. All these girls (and more) were dumped on a lonely stretch of highway on Long Island. One was even seen running from house to house, terrified someone was trying to kill her, but she disappeared before the police responded to her 911 call. (Her body was later found, but the medical examiner was never able to determine if she was killed or she drowned.) Was it a john? Was it the suspicious doctor that lives on the island, whose lies and tall tales don't add up? Ultimately the story is unfulfilling because WE DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER. Perhaps that is the scariest part of all. I hope I live to see the case solved.

I thought the story was very well-researched, to the extent that the author could, given the individuals he had to interview...pimps, drug abusers, prostitutes, opportunistic mothers who were absent when their daughters were alive, various residents on the island who all have their own agendas. There was a bit of jumping back and forth in time, and it was difficult at times to keep track of which girl he was talking about since they all had similar backgrounds. Pictures would have been a BIG HELP!!! True crime novels must have pictures. In this case I had to Google. Then it got easier. The author does include maps, timelines and a cast of characters in the back of the book, which I discovered too late for them to be helpful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Girls.

October 27, 2013 – Shelved