Karla's Reviews > Drood

Drood by Dan Simmons

Oct 19, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: eras-victorian, do-not-like-author-writing-style, not-as-advertised, did-not-finish
Read in April, 2009

The book really is misnamed and misleading. "Drood" is really a novelized biography of Dickens and Collins' relationship.

While I loved the attention to atmosphere and details of both Collins' and Dickens' lives, I was burning for the book to have a point & eventually felt as disappointed as I was with another long epic with a wimpy, pointless conclusion: The Stand by Stephen King. For most of the book, I had the sense that Simmons was trying to imitate the long-winded expository style of the novels from Collins' and Dickens' time. If so, he succeeded; however, it's not a light read and on more than one occasion it felt like he had information and darn it, he was going to include it even if it made scenes interminable.

This reminded me of Simmons' book Carrion Comfort - huge, detailed, but endlessly circling and then meandering off into nowhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drood.

Nate I can't remember when exactly but I distinctly recall you saying that this book was mostly "Collins and Dickens just being shitheads" or something like that. It makes me chuckle, because I haven't seen anything to dispute that yet...but I'm still enjoying it :D

Karla Apart from them being eternal shitheads, the only other thing I remember about the experience was that I couldn't get through the audiobook even though I was doing mindless yardwork at the time. Usually I can listen to practically anything doing that. The reader was good, though.

I might try it again at some point later, when I'm in a real keen mood for Victorian shitheads. :P