Laura's Reviews > The Shamer's War

The Shamer's War by Lene Kaaberbøl

bookshelves: fantasy, ya

This was a wonderful conclusion to the Shamer's series (or at least I think it's the last book). I'll admit I didn't get that sad at Nico's (view spoiler) I think it's because of that lack of depth to his character. We didn't really get to know him. The most he is spoken of is in the first book and then in this one. He plays a huge role but then is detached at the same time. Other than that aspect, I thought it was a very well written book. The constant switching between Dina and Davin actually worked for me and that sort of thing doesn't always work due to the fact that I don't really read the chapter titles so I get confused. In this novel, however, it was evident who was speaking (Davin or Dina). Sometimes the geography of the area totally confused me and it plays a big role in this book. I'm not aware of any maps that have been made of Dina's world though I know it would have been helpful to have one. I'm not the best at picturing maps in my head so this was a bit of an issue for me. It didn't hinder the stories quality at all but I know that I probably would have gotten a deeper experience if I understood exactly how things stood in relation to everything else.

I'm realizing as I write that I'm actually pointing out pretty much only the bad. Never fear! Other than these aspects, the book was positively amazing. I love the original ideas of the Shamer's eyes and the Serpent's Gift. (view spoiler)

Overall, it was a wonderful book and I will be sure to read them again :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shamer's War.

October 26, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read