Barner's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

U 50x66
Oct 18, 2009

Read in October, 2009

I read this book about a 100 years ago; a re-reading has me in love with the book!!!! I look forward to discussing it with a group at a nearby church this week. Though I did recall much/some of the action, I was soooo taken with the truth of the power of books and all they stand for. I was reading a friend's copy so I could not mark the book, but one part that touched me:"Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there..." In the coda following the novel, Bradbury slams any changing of original texts: simplification, shortened versions, comic books, etc. and suggests that anything less than the original is really a burned book.

This book is so much more true than when I read it in the fifties! Maybe age, as well as the passing of time, helps with the appreciation.

If you have not read this one for some time, pick it up. It is a fast, powerful read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane What I remember about Fahrenheit apart from the wonderful gang of outsiders at the end is the quote at the beginning: "When they give you lined paper, write the other way." The quote you copied is beautiful, too, and I wish my mind were young enough to memorize it.

message 2: by Dick (new)

Dick Gullickson Cath,

This is one of my favorite books too. Having the time to read it again is another incentive to retire. Have you read the "Martian Chronicles" by Bradbury? Another favorite. Regards, Dick