Robert Blumenthal's Reviews > The Universe Versus Alex Woods

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

For most of its 400 plus pages, this is a simply wonderful novel. My only complaint is that it was just a tad too long. I would have edited about 25-50 pages from it. That being said, I found the young narrator to be a totally wonderful character, and this rates as an excellent British coming-of-age novel. At the age of ten, Alex is struck in the head by a meteorite and miraculously survives with no more disability than epilepsy (not to downplay the significant disability that epilepsy is, but the damage could have been so much more extreme brain damage). After various school experiences (most of them negative), he meets Isaac Peterson, a curmudgeon older American Vietnam veteran who becomes a mentor for Alex. Their relationship is deftly developed, and there is much humor and interesting plot developments. In the end, a huge and difficult task is asked of Alex and his decision whether or not to do it will have a profound effect on his life. I found that I flew through this book--it is very readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Universe Versus Alex Woods.

October 25, 2013 – Started Reading