Wendy's Reviews > Distractions

Distractions by J.L. Brooks

Wow! I have a serious book hangover after this one. When I read the synopsis, I was expecting a suspenseful romance, but I got more than I bargained for! The story starts off with a glimpse into 14 year old Violet's life and then moves ahead to her 20s where she is working as a research assistant in a lab. She holds her boss, "Doc," in high regard, even thinking of him as a father figure. One night, a very disturbing encounter with Doc changes everything for her. Left reeling from what just occurred, Violet has no time to recover before Doc disappears. She looks to her neighbor, Shephard, for comfort and is soon in a relationship with him, when disaster strikes again. Thus, begins the rollercoaster that is "Distractions." Just when I would get into the story line, Violet would be off on another path, seemingly dropping the one she was on. However, it all comes together as the story moves along. I could not quit reading this one and spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I was missing. I knew that it was moving to a shocking end, and I was right. My advice while reading this one is a great quote from the book, "Stay alert, Violet. Distractions will be your undoing." The twists in Violet's life were distractions to what was really going on. I should've been more alert. This is definitely a book worth checking out. Don't miss out on it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distractions.

October 25, 2013 – Started Reading