Dan's Reviews > Thirteen Moons

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Oct 09, 2007

Read in March, 2008

I just wrote a lengthy review of this excellent book and apparently GoodReads was having server problems just as I was submitting it.

So...I don't have the stomach to type all that out again, so kindly believe me when I tell you that Thirteen Moons is a tremendous accomplishment. Sure, it may be a somewhat cliched "going native" story, but the narrative is actually based on the life of the historical figure William Holland Thomas (his name has been changed to William Cooper in the novel). Plus Charles Frazier is such an amazing storyteller the plot itself is more or less unimportant.

This is one of the finest books I've read in a long time. I was sad to finish it because I know it will be quite a while before I find a book of this quality again. It was nine years between Cold Mountain and Thirteen Moons; I can only hope that Charles Frazier's next novel will not require such a wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen Moons.

09/23/2016 marked as: read

Sjkimball I couldn't agree more with your assessment. This is an epic tale; I'm reading in bits, concurrently as a book and audio book. Charles Frazier's writing is worth savoring!

readinger I totally agree with your review. This was a wonderful book. Admittedly it is not a book I normally would pick up. I acquired it at our local library purge sale where I stock up on audio books for the baseball offseason. the third day of the sale is all you can carry for $1. I just pick up the audio books and put them in my box without even looking at them. It's because of this that I have found several new authors and titles this year that I would have not have picked up otherwise. Charles Frazier is one of them. I'm very glad I picked up his book Thirteen Moons

Lisa Duke This book is a work of art.

message 4: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Can you all let me know if this is appropriate for a family road trip? Picked up the audio version at library. Kids are tween age, and I'm not sure if this should just be for mom and dad?

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan It's been a several years, but as I recall there wasn't anything graphically violent or sexual. It deals with the Indian Removal which, of course, involved violence. There's a love story in the main narrative that involves some sexual content but it's not exactly erotica.

So: some violence, some sexual content, nothing "R-rated" from what I remember. Thematically though, it is intense, as the story is against the backdrop of genocide.

Hope that helps--