Michelle's Reviews > The Historian

Oct 18, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: historical-thriller
Read in October, 2009

Hmmm...I'm not quite what sure to make of this novel. I started it late one night and couldn't read past the first two chapters because I got creeped out. The next day, when I picked it up again, I couldn't put it down. BUT, I wasn't creeped out by it anymore (which was slightly disappointing). Then I finished it, and it was anti-climactic.

So this is what I think. First - Kostova is an excellent writer, and that is why I think I couldn't stop reading it.

Second - it got a little heavy historically in the second half. I sort of stopped caring about a lot of the details at about page 450 or 500. I just wanted the story to get on with it.

Third - the ending was not nearly as dramatic as I had hoped it would be. After all that building (and building...and building...and building), I expected a fantastic ending. And it just wasn't.

Fourth - I wanted something a little bit scarier. I don't love scary books (haven't read one since Goosebumps...or something like that from junior high). But for some reason I wanted something that was a little hair-raising. This was not it.

So I think if you are a real junky for history, you'll love it. If not, I'm not sure it is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Historian.