Angela's Reviews > Forest Born

Forest Born by Shannon Hale

Oct 18, 2009

bookshelves: 2009
Read in October, 2009

Do you ever look at a stack of books and know that at least one of them is probably really great but you just don't know yet that it's really great and you don't want to waste your time on a not-so-great book and so you just don't know which book to choose so you just keep staring at the stack of books and put off reading any of them?

- OR -

Do you ever pick up a book by an author simply because you have loved past books by the author but you don't really know much about this book or you aren't sure if you're going to like the book but then you read it anyway because you at least love the author and then you are surprised by how much you really enjoyed the book?

(Yeah, I'm not sure a career in writing is in my future ... I love run-on sentences too much!)

Both of these scenarios are what happened to me with FOREST BORN. It's by Shannon Hale (who I think is the bees knees!) so of course I'm going to read it. But I just didn't know that I was going to love it, you know? And I have been totally in a mood to read something that I just really enjoyed and could get lost in, instead of just something that was okay or that I could pick apart in my head while reading it. So this book has sat on my shelf for waaaay too long.

I finally picked it up last night and was so surprised by how much I loved the story (well, I shouldn't have been surprised given I've loved everything else from this author, but you get the idea, right?). I loved Rin's character, all that she learned and grew and changed throughout the story.

I absolutely loved how I got to also see my other favorites from the Bayern series ... Isi, Enna, Dasha, Razo, Geric, Finn, etc. I love books in a series (even if I hate waiting for them to be released), but it's hard for me when the main characters I fell in love with in one book are not the main characters in another book. But Shannon Hale does a fantastic job of making me care for all of the new main characters, as well as showing me how my favorite "old" characters are doing as time progresses.

And yes, I think there is definitely more to the Bayern stories! I hope that Razo keeps bugging Shannon (along with all of the other characters)! (Sorry, Shannon!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Born.