Jodi's Reviews > Born of the Night

Oct 17, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook
Read in October, 2009

This book was first published in 96 but it was written 10 years earlier when futuristic romances were big on romance and small on the future. This shows glimpses of Kenyon's skill as a story teller. In fact, you can see where she developed scenes from this book for use in Acheron. Others have described the heroine as too stupid to live. That's not exactly true. Kiara's annoyingly naive and self-centered. She's really too innocent for the hero. Nemesis has been abused his whole life. Trained to be an assassin, he's the best at what he does. Kiara touches him in ways he thought dead. The ending comes too quickly and too easily. Not enough build up to the scenes that negate his entire past as though a pat on the head can changes years of torture. The reader for the audio is brilliant. Although her accents were slightly non sequiturs, she made it possible to identify every character no matter how many were on stage. A neat and impressive talent. But not Kenyon's best work, not by a long shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of the Night.

mlady_rebecca Darn, I was hopping those were good reads.

Did you read the newly re-released version? That cover looks like the older version where things were cut out.

Jodi No, I read the new one. I don't control the goodreads covers and don't care to pick and choose. It hasn't been touched since she wrote it. She wanted this one back in print because she has such an emotional connection with it. I'm reviewing the audiobook so I know I have the latest version.

mlady_rebecca I guess I misunderstood. I thought she was re-writing and updating that whole series.

Ah, I'm a cover whore. I have to have the matching one 99% of the time. Once or twice I've picked a "prettier" cover than the one I own.

Jodi I suppose I didn't know I could choose other covers. Despite the fact that I read comics, I am not a particularly visual person. Though I must admit, in this case, I had a prerelease audio and therefore didn't know what the cover looked like.

It's possible that she might have done some editing but imagine that this doesn't take place in our universe but they use all the common swear words and expressions. Imagine an innocent young woman as a match for a notorious assassin. Acheron's match was his mental equal. Kiara is a petulant child. She doesn't write this way anymore but in the 80s, this was what you wrote.