Laura Dennis's Reviews > The Declassified Adoptee: Essays of an Adoption Activist

The Declassified Adoptee by Amanda H.L. Transue-Woolston

bookshelves: adoption

With clear, succinct language—resorting to neither sanctimony nor sentimentality, Amanda H.L. Transue-Woolston’s The Declassified Adoptee: Essays and Short Stories of an Adoption Activist, provides an understandable context for the change needed in adoption as an institution.

In this compilation of writings from her blog, the author uses personal anecdotes to highlight the need for sympathy and understanding for the adoptee, while arguing logically and unapologetically for specific change within the system.

And in a few key articles, she even made this jaded adoptee shed a few tears. In “A Letter to my Prospective Adoptive Mother—What a little baby might have wanted to say,” Amanda encapsulates the heartache and frustration for the closed records adoptee and the mom trying to raise her:

"Then, with no family medical history, I will discover a tumor. I will cry for you sick with pain and anesthesia when I wake up from surgery. You will ask God 'why' and I will be okay."

For adoptees and non-adoptees alike, this anthology will answer questions you never knew you had and clarify issues about which you always felt strongly. It’s time for social justice for adoptees, and this book is must-read educational preparation.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Declassified Adoptee.

Finished Reading